1 2 3 Previous Next 103 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 12:36 PM by jeffalmquist

FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture

JoeGonzalez

I have a client experiencing significant issues with FileMaker Go crashing on their iPads when the ‘Insert from Device’ script step is used to capture photos.

I've read several other posts regarding this issue and have implemented some of the suggestions from FM Tech support, but the crashing persists.

Device:  iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini 2, iPad Air and iPad Air 2.

iOS Version:   9.3.2

FM Go version:  15.0.1

Use Dropbox to move file from Mac to iPad

I created a new database that includes just the picture-taking functionality to rule out file corruption in the original database.  However, the test file also crashes in exactly the same way as the original solution.

Use Case:

I have three tables: header, line items and images.  A header record will contain 200 related line items.  Each line item record will have one related record in the images table.

For each line item record, we use a script to take a picture (using Insert from Device/Medium Resolution/Rear Camera/No Zooming Allowed) and place in a container field in the related images table.  The same script then uses that related image to create a thumbnail and store it in the line item record.  To speed up the photo capture process, we use the same script to advance to the next line item record.

FileMaker Go will crash somewhere between capturing 80-100 images and return to the iOS home screen (sometimes does a hard re-boot of iPad). After re-launching FileMaker Go and accessing the same 200 line items, the last 10-15 images (and thumbnails) are missing.  If we continue taking photos, FileMaker Go will crash again after 30-40 images. Thus, getting through the 200 records results in anywhere between 3-6 crashes.

We have not found a work around.

Test file is attached.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
          TSGal

JoeGonzalez:

Thank you for your post and file.

There weren't any directions how to use the file, so this is what I did:

The file opened to the header_list layout.  I add a record, but I don't see how to take the picture.  Therefore, I go to Scripts and select "click_btn_to_add_phot_to_next_record".  An error appears because no related records are available.

I then go to Line Items Detail layout, and I see a button to Add Next Photo.  Nothing happens when I tap it.  Since there are no records, I add a record, and then the "Add Next Photo" button works, and I can take a picture.  After several minutes of taking a picture and tapping "Add Next Photo" repeatedly, I was finally able to make it crash.  Upon return, only one record is present, but then looking at your script, the "Add Next Photo" button doesn't add a record but just retakes the photo in the current record, so this is expected behavior.  Regardless, I do have a crash report that I have sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
            JoeGonzalez

Sorry about the lack of directions.

First time posting a file. 

Here are the steps to follow (they mirror our workflow in the production app):

1.  File opens to the header_list layout.

2.  Cick the button labeled "+ Report".  This generates a header record and 200 related line item records.  It also navigates to the layout 'line_item_list'.  This is a list view of the related 200 line item records.

3.  Click the 'Go Detail' button on the first record to navigate to the 'line_item_detail" layout. 

4.  The "line_item_detail" layout is a form view of the line item record.  Click the button labeled "Add Next Photo". 

5.  Keep pressing the 'Add Next Photo' to capture pictures for each line item.  The script will jump you to the next record in the found set.

Originally I was using the "Insert from Device" in the "Add Next Photo" script to save the photo in the related Images table.  However, after reading one of the posts referenced about, I added a script step to create the related Image record first.  Then I would call the 'Insert from Device' script step.  However, the app crashes with either scenario and still loses 10-15 images.

Thanks for your assistance!

It is very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Joe

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
              TSGal

JoeGonzalez:

Thank you for the detailed information.  I have attached this information to the report.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                JoeGonzalez

Thanks for the quick response TSGal !

Some additional notes regarding our FileMaker 15 Go crashes:

• About 30 users in the field using the production solution on FileMaker Go. 
                • Experienced occasional crashes over the last 6 months, but rarely lost more than 1-3 images.
                • Upgrading iPads to iOS 9.3.2 resulted in wide-spread crashing (prompting this post).
                • Users on iOS 9.3.1 or older versions of iOS seem to experience fewer crashes, but are not immune to the issue.
                • We were able to reproduce the same issue in both FileMaker Go 14 and 15.

Thanks!

Kine regards,

Joe

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                  TSGal

JoeGonzalez:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have also attached this information to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                    TSGal

JoeGonzalez:

Our Testing department has been able to reproduce the issue.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                      JoeGonzalez

Thanks for the update TSGal!

Here is what we've done to work around the crashing.

1.  We are asking our 30+ technicians to close the app and quit FileMaker Go every 40-50 photos.

2.  Next, we double-click the Home button on the iPad and swipe up all apps to force quit everything running in the background.

Our productivity is taking a hit and it's impacting service delivery to our customers, but we are experiencing far fewer crashes.

We have also modified the test file previously uploaded by adding a "Flush Cache to Disk" script step after every photo.  Although we are still experiencing crashes when we get to about 90-100 photos, we are not losing any images when we re-open the database.

Any other suggestions for workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Joe

AbacoData LLC

Austin, Texas

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                        Benjamin Fehr

I can replicate every time when using the front camera.

I can replicate sometimes and under certain circumstances when using the rear camera.

For all cases, picture is inserted rotated 90° counterclockwise.

There might be a relation to the Orientation Lock [Portrait; locked] I have enabled.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                          jeffalmquist

I've done some further testing on this. I was able to reproduce the crashing behavior consistently by creating a brand-new test file in FileMaker 15, with one table with one container field, using only the native container-field controls (no scripts). The file crashes consistently after taking 110-120 pictures on iPads with iOS 9.3.2 or above, in FileMaker Go 13, 14 and 15.

Changing the image resolution (full/large/medium/small) does not affect the result. Nor does the orientation, or orientation lock. I only tested with the back camera, so I don't know if using the front camera would yield different results, but using the front camera would not be practical workaround for the client’s needs. I’ve run the test with saving photos in separate records, as well as with overwriting the same record each time using the “Replace…” option. The result is always the same: the file crashes after taking 110-120 pictures.

Here’s a new wrinkle. The crashing problem only happens on iPads, not on iPhones. I ran the same test on an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 6s, taking 200 pictures on each with no crash.

I hope this helps you find the cause and a solution!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                            TSGal

jeffalmquist:

Thank you for your detailed notes.  Your observations are consistent with what Testing has reported to Development (iPad only, approximately 100 pictures).  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                              dzempel

This sounds like an issue we have been trying to resolve since the beginning of the year.  The thread I started in April after unsuccessfully solving it myself can be found here:

FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo

The only difference is that my client will get crashes inconsistently and may not take 100+ pictures before it decides to crash.  Since it has been crashing for the past 7-8 months, I'm sure there's damage to the file and maybe that is why it doesn't wait for that 100th plus picture.  I have recovered the file on numerous occasions and the crashing seems to take longer to achieve after recovery, but it still crashes.

Any resolution for this yet?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                                maximums

In re-reading this thread and in discussion with my client who is experiencing this issue (but often much earlier than 100 images) I'm wondering if it is a caching issue? I don't understand how apps and the iOS really work, but it does seem that the process of taking and inserting many images is intense memory wise and often the app isn't actually closed, but it is hibernating. My client is testing closing the file and fulling closing the app after each session. Their file is hosted at their server and they connect using wireless, not the cellular network. I haven't had an update as yet.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                                  jeffalmquist

I would say the problem is definitely related to caching, and as far as I know the only way to clear the cache is to completely exit the FileMaker Go application (simply closing the current file doesn't do it). We tried using the "Flush Cache to Disk" script step, but that didn't work. You have to manually double-click on the Home button, then swipe up on the app image. I don't think it's possible to script that (on iOS the "Exit Application" script step closes all open files but does not exit the application). Sounds like TSGal at FMI is on this. I suppose we'll just need to keep an eye on this thread to know if/when an official fix is implemented.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go 15 Crashing using Insert from Device for photo capture
                                    TSGal

jeffalmquist (et al):

I can confirm this issue was NOT addressed in the recent FileMaker Go 15.0.2 update.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next