1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 11:08 AM by mikebeargie

Options for dedicated, fast, reliable, WebDirect hosting

nrobinson

Hey all,

My company has a fairly simple survey process that runs through Filemaker that we would like to host on WebDirect for our clients to use.

We are looking for a webDirect hosting company that will work as close to as reliable and fast as when we run WebDirect from our local FM Server.

I have tried a couple Hosting Companies and found that the speed is bad, the death wheel comes up and kicks the user back to the login, and also the WebDirect server I use is shared by many others.  We are trying to look as professional as possible and mimic a full web app as much as possible.  This is for use with our clients, who are Seafood industry folks.  I do not have enough web programming experience to go the PHP rout and time is a factor so WebDirect is the best option.

If anyone could provide me with a great provider of fast reliable dedicated WebDirect service, please let me know.

Thanks FM Community,

Nat Robinson

FishWise

Santa Cruz, CA

P.S.  I used to blame the WebDirect technology until I ran the same solution via WebDirect on our local server and it worked like a dream. 

• 1. Re: Options for dedicated, fast, reliable, WebDirect hosting
          mikebeargie
          We are looking for a webDirect hosting company that will work as close to as reliable and fast as when we run WebDirect from our local FM Server.

This is an impossible request, and any company that promises differently is selling snake oil. Your users AND the remote server would require a ridiculously dedicated fast connection to achieve localhost speeds across a WAN.

That being said, the fastest and most reliable solution we've seen for people wanting to not host in-house has been with Amazon EC2. Specifically, an M4.2XLarge virtual server with an additional EBS storage volume (for file hosting and backups). This would also require you to have your own filemaker server license.

The better quality hosting comes at a cost, the above configuration will net you around a $2,800 annual cost for hardware, not including your filemaker licensing cost.

However, another viable alternative would be to take that $3k+ cost you're looking at, and hire a web developer to code the web site for you. If you indeed only have a simple survey, then custom web publishing will both be faster from the WAN, as well as cheaper in hardware and licensing requirements, as it removes the overhead from concurrent licenses and WebDirect hardware requirements. Sure it would negate your ability to make changes on the fly like in WebDirect, but it would save you monthly fees and get you the performance you want.

1 of 1 people found this helpful