1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 11:05 AM by schamblee

Creating an app with FMPA15

rickaltman

I have been reading a lot about app creation with FileMaker and am wondering if I should consider it for our annual conference of 200 patrons. Currently, FMPA feeds quite a bit of data to our app-building platform (www.appmachine.com), and I pay a nominal fee to be able to design, build, and deploy the app to both App and Play stores. This has worked pretty well, except the platform is deep, complex, and there is minimal support.

Given that most of the data comes from my FileMaker database, can I build my app with it, too? I'd be comfortable designing the interface, but I am unsure about deployment:

• Do I need FileMaker Server (which I do not have)?
      • Can I design something with FMPA15 and actually get it into the stores?
      • Can I create a community module, whereby our patrons update their own profiles?
      • Will reminders and announcements integrate with the Notification component of users' phones?

Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

Rick A.

Pleasanton CA

• 1. Re: Creating an app with FMPA15
          schamblee

Do I need FileMaker Server (which I do not have)?

FMS is not required for development.  Depends on the number of users / concurrent users that need to access the database, and if webdirect is required.  Over 5 concurrent users and or webdirect will require FMS.

Can I design something with FMPA15 and actually get it into the stores?

You can get database into app store using the iosAppSDK.  There is nothing available for the Apple Store.  I'm sure this is coming in the near feature.  I believe since Runtimes have been deprecated, that is FMI next move.

Can I create a community module, whereby our patrons update their own profiles?

Yes.  This move would most likely require you to have FMS.

Will reminders and announcements integrate with the Notification component of users' phones?

Not, build into FM or iosAppSDK, but MoneyBreadSoftware has an sdk and  there are a couple other software apps available to handle the communication from the app. 

I'm not sure all what MoneyBreadSoftware offers you would need to check their website.