2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 6:25 AM by alext

    Sorting Valuelist by 2nd field loses values SOLVED


      I have a simple valuelist for Products which I use on an invoicing solution.  The valuelist, fed by a table called "ITEMS" is set to display the "id_items_pk" field from the ITEMS table.  When used on my invoice layout the valuelist works correctly, that is, it displays a list containing all id_items_pk values.  When I then select a 2nd field ("itemName") to be displayed within the valuelist dialog, the valuelist still displays all values.  The issue is when I then choose "sort by 2nd field" so that the products list is alphabetical by product name rather than sorted by pk value, not all values appear in the list.


      The missing values seem to be arbitrary, though I changed the itemName field of some of the values that appear & this made the value disappear from the list.


      There is no relationship set from the context of the valuelist, both fields are from a single occurrence of a table & is not filtered in another way.


      I'm convinced this is a bug but perhaps I'm missing something silly.  Ideas?


      Client: FMP15, FMP15 Advanced (OS X)

      Server: FMP Server 15 (Windows)

        • 1. Re: Sorting Valuelist by 2nd field loses values

          That is the behavior of FM.

          FM14 has help entry "value lists troubleshooting" but I couldn't found it in FM15 htmlized help.



          If the value list is defined to display information from two fields, items will not be duplicated for the field on which the value list is sorted. For example, if the value list displays information from the Company field and the Name field, and if the values are sorted by the Company field, only one person from each company will appear in the value list.

          • 2. Re: Sorting Valuelist by 2nd field loses values

            Thank you for your quick reply however there was a misunderstanding RE your reply.  The values are 1:1 and unique-  so sorting wouldn't collapse or group any of the records, though that's useful to know. 


            After reading the document you cited I got the idea to re-index field #2 (itemName), which I did by turning indexing off for field #2, saving via exiting Manage Database, then turning it back on.  After this procedure the valuelist populated correctly when sorting by field #2.