2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 1:50 AM by extra4uk

FileMaker Server running on same machine as a Domain Controller server

james.currie

I've been asked by a client if it would be acceptable to install and run FileMaker 15 Server on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine which is also being used as a domain control server.

Does anyone have any experiences with running FMS on this type of configuration? Other than performance are there any further implications with doing this (security maybe)?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server running on same machine as a Domain Controller server
          CICT

Hi James

It is becoming more and more difficult to run stand alone servers as so many features now depend on having Active Directory installed. Although most of our Windows servers remain stand alone, we are now running FileMaker Pro and Advanced on AD servers as we're publishing via RemoteApp, which demands AD. We've pleased how this is working.

I don't believe you'll have any problems running FMS on an AD server, but this is subject to how many other services the AD server is managing? If it is a small network and the server isn't also the print server, file server, the top of a forest of a very complex AD, web host, etc. then you should be OK. It is always better to use a dedicated server for FileMaker, but the actual overheads of AD on a small network is relatively small. Do check whether IIS is in use for other purposes first though.

Regards

Andy

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server running on same machine as a Domain Controller server
            extra4uk

Hi James,

I haven't done this with 15 yet, but have had Server 14 running on my 2012 R2 Domain Controller for over a year now without any problems.

On install the process did halt with an error on one of the required ports, but after a server restart the second install attempt was a breeze.

Hope that helps.