9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 8:47 AM by CICT

FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp

CICT

Just wondered whether anyone else has published either FMP or FMPA v15 on Citrix XenApp? We've now published it on 3 separate servers running XenApp 6.5 using the latest versions of Receiver on Macs and Windows, mostly launching through Chrome, Accessing the software on all 3 servers, the FileMaker 15 icon appears to have been split down the middle and then swapped around as per the attached 'XenApp Icons.jpg' screen shot.

We've not seen this on v13 or v14 and some servers have all 3 FM versions published alongside each other (until the older ones are phased out), with the older icons looking fine, but to date we've not seen an intact v15 icon. The process for publishing is the same for all versions and the standard icon is selected, with the published name having '15' added so as to be able to distinguish between the versions.

Bypassing a browser, the icon is also broken if adding an account directly within Citrix Receiver on both Macs and Windows as per the second screen shot 'Receiver Icon.jpg' attached. Interestingly, in Receiver for iPad the icon is broken, but appears OK in Receiver for iPhone.

Running v15 on Microsoft RemoteApp looks fine and v15 seems to run OK in Citrix Receiver, but presenting the software to users looking this way does not build confidence.

Thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
          mikebeargie

Not split down the middle, it just looks like the icon image is now an image map composed of a number of different image sizes. This most likely changed in 15 to support new icon guides in El Capitain or iOS9.

Personally, I custom make an icon for all virtual machine installs with the version number pasted over the de-facto folder icon.

The icon change from 14 to 15 is very subtle (they just reversed the purple gradient inside the folder), so I prefer things with numbers...

• 2. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
            CICT

Thanks Mike

I appreciate I could start heading away from standards, but from the FileMaker Tech Specs:

Citrix ICA client minimum requirements*:

• Windows: Receiver for Windows 4.1.2
            • OS X: Receiver for Mac 11.8.2

and the fact we've never had the problem before, I'd expect not to have to do this.

We are moving away from Citrix, but will be running it for a few years as yet and really don't like presenting the software the users interface with looking like this.

Andy

• 3. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
              mikebeargie
              And the fact we've never had the problem before, I'd expect not to have to do this.

That's not a great way of thinking in ANY technical related issue. Assuming "it worked before so it should work with a new version" is the reason why products like windows 10 and Java vrevs have caused millions of user headaches around the world. FileMaker and Citrix are not immune from this either.

As someone that is responsible for redistributing to your users via a non-traditional method, you share some responsibility for the testing and deployment of the software. "Supported" is a large distance from "error free".

An icon is one of the easiest things to change. For the time it took you to write and respond to this post, you probably could have implemented a custom icon.

Still, you can report the issue to FileMaker in the proper community space if you'd like:

Report a Product Issue

• 4. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
                CICT

Sorry Mike I totally disagree with you.

We're highlighting the problem here to see if anyone has seen this problem before, or whether it is something to do with our setup. This has not been rolled out to our clients, we would not issue a piece of software looking like this to anyone. FileMaker have a good track record of monitoring this forum and there is a good chance someone will take notice or provide advice.

We're Mac users, but most of our time is spent developing on Windows via our 'non-traditional method'. As Windows users of FileMaker, we've suffered a lot since the release of v12, which is the reason we still have 3 versions of FileMaker Pro published on the servers. We're actually big fans of v15, despite all the negative postings on this forum after its release, and are delighted that it seems to work out of the box rather than having to wait for release 3 for a workable version (except of v12, which never really got there!).

If we're forced to create a custom icon, we will. But if the latest tech specs for a piece of software specify that it should work, then we would expect it to work.

Yes we can report the issue in the proper community as we have many times before, but before then we thought we'd discuss this in the 'discussions' forum inviting comments. Thank you for yours, duly noted.

Kind regards

Andy

• 5. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
                  mikebeargie

"But if the latest tech specs for a piece of software specify that it should work, then we would expect it to work."

In a perfect world, I agree everything should work 100%. As I noted, "Supported" is a far cry from "problem-free", with any piece of software.

There is literally no piece of software I have ever used that does not have some issues, and/or regular releases of updates to fix issues. I'm highly opinionated on this, yes; But with 10 years under my belt in L2 IT support before touching FileMaker, I never once readied or used a piece of software with the expectation that it would function flawlessly.

This icon does not affect the core functionality in your case as you have confirmed. So it does work, just with a minor issue that you aren't happy with. I get that, it's not ok in your book, but it's not unexpected in my book.

• 6. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
                    mikebeargie

TL;DR

Thanks for voicing your opinion here Andy. I just have a differing opinion when it comes to rolling out SaaS virtual apps and expecting them to function flawlessly.

• 7. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
                      CICT

Hey Mike

No problem, we all have our views, which is why it is good to share them in a forum such as this.

Sadly, after 30 years of IT and nearly that with (Hypercard then) FileMaker, nothing would surprise me these days. I've just spent over 3 hours trying to work out why 5 identical accounts used in Burma have 3 displaying an updated hosted PDF in FileMaker's web viewer and 2 don't. Never underestimate the power of Internet Explorer lurking in the background ;-)

Cheers

Andy

• 8. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
                        beverly

'standard', 'recommended' or not, You might post this to Product Issues, CICT. TS may have had other information we don't have.

beverly

• 9. Re: FileMaker icon 'broken' when published with Citrix XenApp
                          CICT

Hi Beverly

Will do, just like to take the precaution to canvas others here first, as we can't be the first to publish FileMaker 15 on XenApp. Sometimes it is easy to jump the gun and report a bug when it isn't.

Thanks

Andy