AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMS: "server-class" hardware necessary for a small workgroup?

Question asked by DavidHollander on Jun 24, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 by ggt667

FileMaker officially recommends "server-class" equipment for a FileMaker Server disk subsystem:

"Whether you decide on a traditional hard drive based disk sub-system or a SSD based sub-system, it is important to consider “server-class” equipment versus “consumer-class” equipment. “Server-class” equipment tends to be more reliable and designed for the demands that a server machine could put on it."    http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9645

I'm looking at whether to "build-to-order" (BTO) a Late 2014 Mac mini as an FMS 15 host. There are only five or six FileMaker Pro 14/15 clients at a time, no WebDirect or Go connections, and only 11 hosted files (about 500 MB total). So this is a small workgroup, not an enterprise.

The hard disk in our last 2012 Mac mini FMS host (5400 rpm) died, so I thought I'd look at BTO disk alternatives this time. A 2.8GHz mini with 8GB memory can have a BTO 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage in place of the standard Fusion Drive, for the same $999.

My question is:

Is Apple's PCIe-based Flash Storage in a Mac mini a good choice for an FMS host?

Is it "server-class-enough" for my needs?

I asked Apple directly whether they considered their PCIe-based Flash Storage to be "server-class" and they said no, and that they don't offer any "server-class" options for the mini.

The speed of PCIe-based flash would seem advantageous over a traditional hard drive, but do we know enough yet about flash/SSD in general to say that it's "safe" for an FMS host machine? (Of course I'll have an external drive as well, for backups.)

Should I instead just buy another low-end Mac mini with the 5400 rpm drive and replace it more quickly, or is it time I give up on using a Mac mini again?

Thanks for your opinions on this.

Outcomes