5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2016 10:22 AM by mikeo'neil

Cannot load main spelling dictionary, FMPA14 and Win10 Pro

TKnTexas

I have just started having trouble, from one database to another, progressively.  As I try to go to a field I get the message

Cannot load main spelling dictionary, 

On the Spelling tab of the File Options dialog Check spelling as you type is OFF.  Un-ticking the Indicate questionable words with special underline does keep it from recurring.  I was going to re-install.  But I have seen in the archives that that has not remedied the situation for others on different versions,

• 1. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary, FMPA14 and Win10 Pro
          domiller

Though this may not be your issue, we have one client who saw this repeatedly.  It turned out that the problem was the BitDefender virus checker.  They added an exclusion for the FileMaker directories and the problem went away.

• 2. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary, FMPA14 and Win10 Pro
            mikeo'neil

Hi There,

Don't know if this will help but I encountered an issue with users reporting that the Learn feature for spell check was not working several years ago. IT was responsible for loading Filemaker Clients and did so from an Image which caused some issues. The cure was to go in to the Edit>Spelling>Select Dictionaries and assure there was a Dictionary Selected. This was for FMP 11. Also check to see if your install did install the dictionary.

Hope it leads you to a solution.

Good Luck,

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary, FMPA14 and Win10 Pro
              TKnTexas

For the Accounting Dept, I install it to all computers that will be using it.  Our IT does not do anything with our computers, except Outlook, log-ins, and net-access. 

I saw where Bitdefender was an offender, but I am not running that.  It only started on some newly created files, but then as I have those open, my regular files started showing the same behavior.  Two or three of the files are shared peer-to-peer.  My co-worker is accessing them with FMP 13, while I use FMPA 14.  She has not reported any issues. 

She is also running om Win7 Pro and I am on Win10 Pro.  I am going to held off reinstalling, as I am not confident that will actually fix it.

But I do appreciate the feedback.

• 4. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary, FMPA14 and Win10 Pro
                BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Mike,

I have been following this thread with interest, as one of my .fmp12 files apparently couldn't see the user dictionary or "Learn" spellings. I followed your instructions and now all is good (I'm not sure how this piece of info has escaped me all these years). Thank you.

Best wishes,

Beatrice

• 5. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary, FMPA14 and Win10 Pro
                  mikeo'neil

Hi Beatrice,

If my fading memory recalls, the Fire Department had fifty clients (FMP 11) being served with FMS 11. Clients that were on our local area network were not affected. Out lying fire stations on the WAN were the ones affected when IT installed from an image disk, which was mainly done remotely. Installs from a CD did not have this issue. When I researched this it had something to do with the path to the dictionary. The cure was to assure there was a dictionary selected.

Mike