1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 1:44 PM by alangodfrey

One Layout with Two Tables

SLucia13

Hi Community,

I am attempting to observe two individuals at one time using the same layout to collect transactional/operational data.  Each data set would go to a separate table... is there a way I can link both tables to the layout?

I have a photo of my solution below.  Ideally, I would like to press either submit button to send the data to the appropriate table on each side of the solution without losing data on the other side...

Any ideas?  Open to other solutions as well...

Thank you!!!

GSA Solution.JPG

• 1. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
          BruceRobertson

Why in the world is identical data stored in two separate tables?

But perhaps you don't really mean that. Perhaps you mean two separate RECORDS, though both are viewed simultaneously.

• 2. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
            siplus

A layout is based upon a TO, one and just one.

This being said, you can have a table linked to another table with 2 different relationships and your 2 panels are each one based upon one of the 2.  They are a 1-record portal, if you want.

• 3. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
              SLucia13

well I was hoping I could have two tables, since that would allow me to have two submit buttons without clearing all the data.

what other options do I have for submitting only half of the records?

i.e. fill out al the information on one side before the other side is ready to be submitted

• 4. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                BruceRobertson

Meeting the differential submit goal does NOT require you to have two tables.

Siplus has already explained that.

We can come up with some further recommendations if you can fill in the scenario further.

What does this view represent? Will you be alternately filling and submitting these throughout the day?

Will other users (supervisors?) be doing the same, having selected another single or pair to observe?

Is there something that should be recorded about the "parent" session? Who/when was observing this pair?

After submitting one, then the other, of the pair, do you start with a new pair?

We suggest you get a little more descriptive.

• 5. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                  SLucia13

Here you go...

What does this view represent?

objective: justify hiring an additional employee to manage internet related questions at a help desk

approach: collect qualitative/quantitate data to back up the recommendation by watching 2 employees using the above application

qualitative data: check boxes showing the transaction details and comment section

quantitate data: transaction time (start/stop timestamps) + guest counts (queue/party size)

*view is doubled so that I can monitor two employees at the same time rather than requiring a coworker to also observe with me using another device

Will you be alternately filling and submitting these throughout the day?

the photo represents one layout that will be used by myself to observe the two employees

Will other users (supervisors?) be doing the same, having selected another single or pair to observe?

no

Is there something that should be recorded about the "parent" session? Who/when was observing this pair? After submitting one, then the other, of the pair, do you start with a new pair?

the data is not linked, each submission is complretely unrelated to the previous. all transactions are uniqie and not dependent on the previous or next

• 6. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                    SLucia13

additionally, the data will simply be exported to excel via email and analyzed there. no database or complex export/upload need to be considered.

• 7. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                      user26705

I am not sure if I totally understand the solution, although I have read your detailed description. It seems as if ultimately you are looking to collect statistics based on how different users (more than one) interact with an application.  If I am interpreting your needs correctly, here is what I would do:

I would have two layouts, one for the users and one for the observation. 

User Layout - This layout would allow the people under observation to carry out their tasks.  You could put timers in place and other trigger events to record qualitative and object data.  The data could be stored in a single table, with each user having a unique ID.  This would allow you to have as many users as you want under observation.

Oberserver Layout - This layout would collect the qualitative data (pretty much in realtime) and allow you tremendous flexibility in terms of how you display that data and visualize trends.  Done correctly you should be able to make the observer layout rather smart and help automatically point out tipping points as to when a new employee would be needed and also identify other bottlenecks.

This model also allows you to rely on the inherent power of Filemaker.  You could use "Find" to watch a single employee or locate a group of trends. You can export data to reports and use the charting capabilities.  It also separates the workers from the observers, which should provide you with tremendous flexibility.

I realize that this doesn't answer your question directly about two layouts and two tables - but hopefully it provides you with a different way to solve your challenge.  If not, sorry for the diatribe.

• 8. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                        BruceRobertson

Here's one approach, using global selector fields.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                          SLucia13

Actually, no I am using the application I created to watch employees work at a help desk.  I am an industrial engineer and use FileMaker solutions to aid in data collection.  Without the software I would be observing the operation using a stop watch, pen, and paper.  FileMaker allows me to collect qual/quantative data and easily uploads it to excel (which saves me loads of time)

My issues here is that I want to collect data (i.e. fill out each side of my layout above) simultaneously. The two employees I will observe/collect data on work independent of one another and thus will have varying start/end times... hence why the two sides will be submitted independently without impact to one another.

• 10. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                            SLucia13

I think we are on the right track here... what is the purpose of the "new" button in this case?

• 12. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                              DSKatSCL

I would have one table/layout with duplicate fields like you had for the two observations, calling it new observations.  It will only ever have one record:

But then create a second table/layout, called complete observations and only have one set of the fields in it:

Then set up two scripts to save the data from each observation into the complete observation table.

The scripts would also clear the data from the appropriate observation to set you up for the next observation, leaving the other observation untouched.

You could also have the time auto start when you enter data into the Guests in Queue field and end when you click the submit button.

See Sample file attached:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 13. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                                SLucia13

ah this looks great, but the file is password protected?

THANK YOU

• 14. Re: One Layout with Two Tables
                                  DSKatSCL

No Password.  Just use Admin as the user ID.

1 2 Previous Next