AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advice on adding phone extensions to shared phone records

Question asked by user17152 on Jun 25, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 2, 2016 by clayhendrix

I have an Organizations table, a Contacts table and a Phone table with records related back to either an Organization or a Contact via two match fields.  This allows me to show just the Organization phone numbers in a portal when viewing an Organization record and both the Contact phone numbers and the Contact's parent Organization phone numbers when viewing a Contact (using a calced multi-line key).

Users can select either a contact phone number or a parent organization phone number as the contact's default/primary phone number.

Where I'm running into trouble is phone extensions.  If the phone record belongs to the contact, it's no big deal.  However, if the phone number is a shared Organization phone number, it gets tricky.  At the moment I don't see any way to do this other than making a copy of the organization phone record for the contact so that the contact can have his or her own extension.  If a copy is made, use portal filtering to hide the shared organization number and show the contact-specific copy instead in the contact record's Phone Numbers portal.  If the main organization phone record changes, update all contact phone record copies via a script trigger.

Am I on the right track?  Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?  Thanks!

Outcomes