14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 12:10 PM by PSI

Send Mail Still not working FMA 15

PSI

I am using FM 15 Advanced on widows 10, with Outlook 2016. both are 64 bit.

I am still getting the switch to dialog which locks up everything.

This is a real annoyance for clients that can't send a email from their database and it makes us look really foolish.

John

• 1. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
          schamblee

You mention FM, Windows and Outlook and state both are 64bit, which both?    FM & Outlook should be both 64bit or both 32bit.   I have not seen any reports from users when they are using the correct versions.   

Using a mail client is not the best method to send emails from your database.  I recommend using smtp to send emails from your database.    

• 2. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
            karina

Strange, we have the same setup installeren on multiple computers and no problems.

Can you try to reinstall outlook?

If not,  you can also use a vbscript to send mail.

• 3. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
              dtcgnet

When you send via Email Client, the initial default setting is "With Dialog: On". Click on the "On", and change it to "Off". Generally, I use SMPT settings, as schamblee mentions, since it works well with FM Go and WebDirect, too.

Send Mail.jpg

• 4. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                PSI

schamblee wrote:

You mention FM, Windows and Outlook and state both are 64bit, which both? FM & Outlook should be both 64bit or both 32bit. I have not seen any reports from users when they are using the correct versions.

Using a mail client is not the best method to send emails from your database. I recommend using smtp to send emails from your database.

Everything is 64 bit - a mail client is the best way to send mail for the client because they want emails to go out from their mail accounts, not a generic account which makes it more costly for the client. When a simple sent mail via client should just work.

• 5. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                  PSI

I thought it should work. I will try reinstalling both.

• 6. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                    PSI

dtcgnet wrote:

When you send via Email Client, the initial default setting is "With Dialog: On". Click on the "On", and change it to "Off". Generally, I use SMPT settings, as schamblee mentions, since it works well with FM Go and WebDirect, too.

Send Mail.jpg

Turing the dialog OFF is no help because the user needs to see the email before it's sent. So we are back to SMTP which adds another complication. The need to setup an interface for the user to compose the email.

It was so much easier for everyone involved when Send Mail via Email client just worked.

John

• 7. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                      dtcgnet

So is the email body not actually ever IN FileMaker? You want it to just switch to Outlook, where the user can type the message that needs to be sent, and then they click "send"? I'm not sure I'm understanding your whole process.

• 8. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                        PSI

There are many scenarios.

The most basic a user enters the customer email in the database and wants to click a button to send them an email. Maybe they want to email an invoice or a report. Neither of these should require setting up smtp.

I have been using this for years until it stopped working in version 13? or 14?

• 9. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                          karina

I understand why you want to sent you send mail via Email Client "with Dialog: On".

In some scripts we use the same,  in some scripts we use SMTP settings and in some scripts we use a vbscribt to sent the mail.

It's just what the user wants or needs.

But it should work when you install outlook 2016 on 64 bit and Filemaker Pro advanced 15 or 14 on 64 bit.

As said, we have that setup installed on multiple computers and no problems, it was the first thing we tested.

We used a office 365 account to download and install outlook.

• 10. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                            PSI

I use office 365 as well. I did switch from the 32bit version of outlook to 64bit maybe something when awry in the conversion?

They offer really great tech support.

• 11. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                              karina

Then I should remove Office 365 and do a completely new install.

I should mention the standard install in office is 32 bit, so don't click click continue

• 12. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                                PSI

That's because Microsoft recommends using the 32 bit version. Not sure why?

The odd thing is I can create the email from FM A 15 and it should up in outlook just fine. It only errors out with the busy app dialog after 15 seconds or so.

• 13. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                                  karina

We had exactly the same error when someone accidentally installed a 32 bit outlook.

A lot of third party software is still on 32bit, that's the reason Microsoft has the standard install on 32bit.

• 14. Re: Send Mail Still not working FMA 15
                                    PSI

It turned out that it was a version mismatch between FM 15 Advanced and Outlook. I originally had installed Outlook 64bit but when I upgraded to windows 10 outlook was reinstalled and my IT company installed the 32bit version.

I uninstalled FMA 15 64bit and installed 32bit and email works!

John