3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2016 2:47 PM by RichardHurley

container field pathname

RichardHurley

I would like to display the pathname of an image file imported into a container field.  I thought I could make a calculated text field and set its contents to something like Get ( FilePathName, MyContainerField). (Forgive the hazy syntax. I'm a tourist as far as FileMaker scripting is concerned.)

Is there a way to do this? I haven't found anything in the Container and Get functions that does the trick.

I've got hundreds of images to deal with, and I don't relish manually entering the path data for every image.

TIA

Richard Hurley

Grass Valley MultiMedia

• 1. Re: container field pathname
          jormond

How are the images stored? Directly in the container filed, as a reference, external containers?

See if this helps: FileMaker Pro 15 Help

If they are stored as a reference, this will get you the path if you use the "content" attribute.

• 2. Re: container field pathname
            schamblee

GetAsText(TheContainerField) will also get you the path, if the file is stored as a reference.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: container field pathname
              RichardHurley

Thanks for the suggestion, shamblee.

The pictures are stored as references.  I tried this in the calculation field where I want to display the path to the image:

GetAsText(images::baseImage)

(where images is the name of the table and baseImage is the name of the container field).

I get the pathname returned, but I get some extra stuff, too.

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 2.01.43 PM.png

Bonus data! I get the pixel size for free!

Looks like I have a date with FMP's text parsing functions. And I'll try Joshua Ormond's suggestion,too.

Thanks for the help! I love working in FMP, but I don't get to do it often. Having the FMP Community as a resource is a lifesaver.

RH

Update:

GetValue ( GetAsText(images::baseImage) ; 2 ) seems to do the trick.