1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 2:20 AM by bertrand

How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.

Jtmwalk

I am running FM13, and have an application running on a single machine 24/7.  We have found that the program needs some bug fixes and  also want to add additional fields and functionality to the program.  As I am remote and do not have live direct access to the program while running, is there a way that I can make a clone copy of the program, make design changes, and then put a copy of the updated program back over the existing data without using the import functionality? 

• 1. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
          siplus

As I am remote and do not have live direct access to the program while running

does not make sense.

If you can remote access you do have live direct access.

How big is the database ? How many records ? What data do they store ? How many users 24/7 ?

• 2. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
            bertrand

Be very careful, don't make change in a database when this database is running.

You can use FTP or your remote software to copy back your databases and vice-versa.

• 3. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
              siplus

bertrand wrote:

Be very careful, don't make change in a database when this database is running.

Are you suggesting that 5 developers daily making changes to a server-shared development implementation of our solution are wrong ?

• 4. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                schamblee

Are you suggesting that 5 developers daily making changes to a server-shared development implementation of our solution are wrong ?

It's not best practice.   Mistakes are made by everyone.

• 5. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                  siplus

So development in Filemaker should happen locally, done by one programmer at a time, on a copy of the solution ? Is this what you are suggesting ?

roflmao. 20 years of mistakes, then.

• 6. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                    schamblee

No, that is no what I'm suggestion.    Development shouldn't be done on a Live Database. A database being used by user.   It would be kind of hard for users to be using a database and a developer to be making changes to that database on a standalone machine.

• 8. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                      coherentkris

If you have built the solution with the separation model then yes. Otherwise no.. the only way is to import. This might just be a good excuse to clone the file and turn it into your UI file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                        bertrand

Siplus, I only say and you hear it or not : it's not a good idea to change structures of tables, layouts or scripts when people are working on.

I have been working in software development for more than 33 years. The most often, if I made a change on live datas ot software, I've got problem.

A good example : launch an application on your iPad via Filemaker Go and quit this application without exiting Filemaker Go, if you try to copy a new version fron your PC via iTunes you can't do because files are till locked.

If you exit FileMaker Go, then you can override the application.

I always work on a copy of databases of an application. I stop all activities on theese databases when I do change, time to copy or run an export/import program. If I need to change the structure of tables, I do it first and watch that there is no bad results and after I change the rest of application (all my applications are made of 2 or more databases : one for data, one or more for applications, layouts, scripts).

Siplus, you can do as you want.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                          Jtmwalk

Let me clarify my original request and provide more detail to help find the best solution to my dilemma.  Please remember, I am very much a Newbie with FM, and learning as i work through the process of design.  When I wrote that I was working remote, in this case I did not mean "remotely connected", I meant my office is in Chicago and I am working in Texas.  I can connect remotely and transfer my working copies to the server, however I am stuck working via satellite and trying to make changes live on the server, I might as well be working with dial-up!

Here are more details on my build.  This particular solution is for tracking personnel, vehicle information and hours of service.  I anticipate this program to contain roughly 500 personnel records and well in excess of thousands of related hours of service records as the days progress.  Information changes and is updated constantly throughout the day.  I have built this on one database, with 13 associated tables.  My experience with the programs currently running at the company are coming from an old Lotus product, which functions but has become unstable and does not allow the functionality afforded with FM, so we are rewriting them all to FM.  With the old Lotus program, it was easy to accomplish my "change" goals, as they had them set apart in 3 different files, being View (Holds all programming functions, scripts, macros etc), .IDX (Index file) and an .ADX file.  If I made a 'copy' of the program, I could make any changes, fixes, or add new fields and functionality, and then simply save a copy of the view file, and overwrite the  the working copy view file.  This would then allow the new file to open, and if new fields were added or scripts/macros - the program would prompt a mapping function, and it would apply the new changes without having ANY effect on the existing data that is working live.

So, I guess my real question is, can this type of procedure work on FM?  Bertrand, you mentioned 2 or more databases : one for data, one or more for applications, layouts, scripts).   Can you lend me a little more detail on how this might work, separating data from the views?

Thank you all for your help.

• 11. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                            siplus

In your setup I would place a el cheapo machine on the Chicago net, put FM Pro Advanced on it and TeamViewer on it from Texas.

• 12. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                              miler24

Even with the separation model, you often have to update the data file(s) due to field additions, calculations, PSOS, etc.

You can manually write an export script of all data from the production version and then import that into a clone of your development version.  Other options are to use Goya's RefreshFM or build an automated routine using AppleScript for example (that's what we did).

Eric Miller

DocuWrx

• 13. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                                Jtmwalk

That is an option, and I have Team Viewer, However: My problem remains, that because I am limited to working from Texas via Satellite to my server - I suffer screen painting and would triple my design time.  That is why I am hoping for an alternative way to update and deploy without import/exporting data, unless that is the only way FM will work.

• 14. Re: How to deploy an updated / changed copy of a program onto "live" data.
                                  alangodfrey

We issue an upgrade about every 8 weeks, and have done for years.  We wrote an 'Upgrade' import script which we run in the clone of the 'new' file.  It just 'works', so we see no perceived problem in working with a local version of the file in development, then every so often we send a clone to the remote 'live' location and they run the import script.  It is pretty seamless for the users.

The only time we have to update the 'Update' routine in the clone is when we add another table, which happens only rarely.

Edit: so we don't 'export' any data as Eric does, we just import directly from the existing 'live' file straight into the clone of the 'updated' file.  The user just renames and archives the 'old' file, renames and launches the 'new' file.

1 2 Previous Next