2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 1:47 AM by jrenfrew

Help with automatically deleted / overwritten files?

brerick

I had some great help from and others last time I posted here. You all allowed me to get our database ready for our archaeological excavation. I have run into a couple of problems that I have so far been unable to figure out. Can anyone offer any advice? I am running Filemaker Pro 14.

1. Randomly Deleted Records. We are hosting our database on FMPHost, which has largely been great. Each night, I download the database onto an iPad, which we take to the field and use each day. After I download it, no one uses the online version of the database. Once we return from the field the next day, I import each of the three main tables back into the server-hosted database ('Baskets,' 'Locus,' and 'Walls.'). Over the past two weeks, records have been randomly disappearing. I removed everyone's delete privileges to see if someone was accidentally removing records, but records are still going missing. Since I am so new to this, I am sure I made a mistake that is causing the problem. My guess is that it is somewhere with the relationships?
      2. Ghost Entries. Where I have created portals for the entry of data (specifically with the "Photos" table and the "Photo Card" layout), sometimes, entries copy automatically from one record's portal to another. It always happens with numbers ending in 0's. For example, We had a file named, "3000 S Ph. 16-17" and all the numbers I added to the "Locus" category automatically appeared in "3000 S Ph. 16-170." Any idea, why it would be copying it over? Does Filemaker not recognize the 0 at the end of the second?

I have created a clone without records of our database as it exists now:I had some great help from /u/bubonis [+1]and others last time I posted here. You all allowed me to get our database ready for our archaeological excavation. I have run into a couple of problems that I have so far been unable to figure out. Can anyone offer any advice? I am running Filemaker Pro 14.

1. Randomly Deleted Records. We are hosting our database on FMPHost, which has largely been great. Each night, I download the database onto an iPad, which we take to the field and use each day. After I download it, no one uses the online version of the database. Once we return from the field the next day, I import each of the three main tables back into the server-hosted database ('Baskets,' 'Locus,' and 'Walls.'). Over the past two weeks, records have been randomly disappearing. I removed everyone's delete privileges to see if someone was accidentally removing records, but records are still going missing. Since I am so new to this, I am sure I made a mistake that is causing the problem. My guess is that it is somewhere with the relationships?
      2. Ghost Entries. Where I have created portals for the entry of data (specifically with the "Photos" table and the "Photo Card" layout), sometimes, entries copy automatically from one record's portal to another. It always happens with numbers ending in 0's. For example, We had a file named, "3000 S Ph. 16-17" and all the numbers I added to the "Locus" category automatically appeared in "3000 S Ph. 16-170." Any idea, why it would be copying it over? Does Filemaker not recognize the 0 at the end of the second?

I have created a clone without records of our database as it exists now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nz72onrsbvxw6e/Huqoq%20Excavation%20Project%20%28Clone%29.fmp12?dl=0

I would appreciate any help or advice. If I need to go into any further detail or provide sample records, I am happy to do so.