5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 9:50 AM by AndrewJudd

PDFs will not print. 14.0.6 and 15.0.1.119

Abingdon

FMPA 14.0.6 and FMPA 15.0.1.119.   Windows 8.1

Although the pdfs are being created fine, they will not print.  Clicking on the pdf, it opens fine.  When attempting to print you get the normal print dialogue as if the pdf is printing but nothing happens. It does not even appear in the Printer's print list.

FMPA 14 was fine before 14.0.6 updated the PDF Engine.  I have tested pdfs created immediately before the update and they print.  Creating exactly the same pdf now using 14.0.6 results in printing failing.

Presume 15 is using the same pdf engine and therefore has the same bug in it that is preventing printing.

Tested with Adobe Acrobat Pro and DC.

No workaround that I can think of.

Message was edited by: David Fox Attached sample FM file and pdfs.  Try printing 14.6 and 15 pdfs, they fail.  14.2 prints.

• 1. Re: PDFs will not print. 14.0.6 and 15.0.1.119
          TSGal

Abingdon:

Thank you for your post.

Using your "PDF Test.fmp12" file, I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I loaded the "PDF Test.fmp12" file onto a Windows 7 computer and a Mac OS X 10.11.5 computer.

2. On the Windows 7 machine, I launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1 and opened PDF Test file.

3. From the File menu, I selected Save/Send Records As -> PDF...

4. I named the file 15.pdf and saved it to the Desktop.

5. I double-clicked the resulting 15.pdf file and it opened under Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

6. With the file open, I pulled down the File menu and selected Print...

7. I selected the HP LaserJet printer (M3035) on the network and clicked Print.  The document printed.

8. I followed steps 2-7 using the Mac.  The document printed.

Currently, I don't have access to a Windows 8.1 machine.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

Try changing the font of your Text field to something other than Arial and then print.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDFs will not print. 14.0.6 and 15.0.1.119
            Abingdon

Your test is pretty much what I am doing. I have tried creating pdfs in 14.0.6 and 15 using a variety of fonts.  Still will not print.

I am on Windows 8.1, this may make a difference?

The crucial thing is, opening the same FM file with a FileMaker version prior to 14.0.6 and creating a pdf results in a pdf which will print.  Surely therefore, the issue is with the changed Filemaker PDF Engine?

• 3. Re: PDFs will not print. 14.0.6 and 15.0.1.119
              TSGal

Abingdon:

I just tested your file on a Windows 8.1 machine, using the steps outlined above, and your file prints fine.

The PDF engine introduced in FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 and FileMaker Pro 15 is very sensitive to fonts.  Since PDFs can download and embed specific fonts, your font folder or Arial font may not be recognized properly by the next PDF engine.  Therefore, as mentioned in my previous posting, duplicate the existing layout, and in the new duplicated layout, change the field font setting from Arial to a different font and try again.  Does the issue still occur?

Development and Testing would like to see a copy of the PDF file created with FileMaker Pro 14.0.5, and the same PDF file created with FileMaker Pro 14.0.6/15.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send those files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: PDFs will not print. 14.0.6 and 15.0.1.119
                eworbit

Why would FM introduce a fundamental PDF change in a point release of version 14 (14.0.6) instead of just keeping things stable?   Rhetorical question.

We're having to go back to using 14.0.5  because of this PDF bug and now FM is going to have to release a 14.0.7.

PDF's created with 14.0.6 on my machine are corrupt and cannot be opened. (OS X 10.11.5)

FileMaker 15 is creating damaged PDF files

Can't Print FM15 generated PDFs!  Oh-no!

• 5. Re: PDFs will not print. 14.0.6 and 15.0.1.119
                  AndrewJudd

yikes, got to change the theme over every print layout. dream!