8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 8:49 PM by schamblee

Placeholder text disables field hover state?

user17152

I'm using 15 Advanced on a Mac.  Conditional formatting now seems to work fine with placeholder text, but I've noticed that if a field has placeholder text, the hover state doesn't work.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
          schamblee

It appears to be an issue.  My Testing :  If no place holder text then you can hover and the field will change based on hover setting.  If field contains place holder text then hover only works if the field is selected. 

Report a Product Issue

• 2. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
            jrenfrew

I don't think its a bug as such from what I recall of Devcon sessions it is how the CSS stack works.

Conditional formatting is last so overrides all previous 'layers'

• 3. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
              schamblee

It's not conditional formatting, there is no conditional formatting in the field.  It's hover state.   Hover state works different based on "Placeholder Text" being in the field or not, which would be a bug.   Hover state should be the same with or without "Placeholder Text"

• 4. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
                jrenfrew

Not in my testing this morning...

• 5. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
                  schamblee

I get the same results as the OP. 

I've noticed that if a field has placeholder text, the hover state doesn't work. 

1. Place 2 field on a layout.

2. In one of the fields set "Placeholder text" to "Sample Text"

3 On both fields changed the hover state to change colors.

The field without "Placeholder text" will change colors even if the field does not have focus, which is how the hoover state should work.

The field with "Placeholder text" will not change colors, unless you click  in the field to give it focus.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
                    BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Rob,

Please see this thread for confirmation of your observation. It's a bug.

https://community.filemaker.com/message/567487?et=watches.email.thread#567487

Best,

Beatrice

On Jun 28, 2016, at 22:27, Rob Wyatt <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

Placeholder text disables field hover state?

created by Rob Wyatt in Discussions - View the full discussion

I'm using 15 Advanced on a Mac.  Conditional formatting now seems to work fine with placeholder text, but I've noticed that if a field has placeholder text, the hover state doesn't work.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
                      keywords

My testing confirms what has been said—placeholder text changes the hover state behaviour. However, I don't see this as a bug. I think I can see a logic; it seems to me that:

1.     Since the introduction of themes and styles, fields and objects have available four possible states—normal, hover, pressed, in focus.

2.     The purpose of the hover state is to give a visual clue to a user that the mouse is over something with which they may interact. For example, the normal state for a minimal edit box (River theme) is such that an empty field is invisible (i.e. no file and no line). The hover state has a line, thus revealing the presence of the field.

3.     The presence of placeholder text removes the normal state invisibility—the placeholder text does the job, especially if you choose the right text—so the purpose of the hover state is negated.

4.      By contrast, for the default edit box the normal state and the hover state are identical—a white box with brown line—so a change of appearance is not really needed, presumably because the presence of the field is obvious in this instance.

5.     The in focus state of both minimal and default edit boxes is the same—white box with grey line plus outer shadow—meaning that the visual clues for the user give the same message.

Finally, the statement: "even if the field does not have focus, which is how the hoover state should work." is incorrect. "Hover" is not the same as "In Focus". Refer to point one above.

• 8. Re: Placeholder text disables field hover state?
                        schamblee

3.     The presence of placeholder text removes the normal state invisibility—the placeholder text does the job, especially if you choose the right text—so the purpose of the hover state is negated

Sorry, I disagree.  If you have multiple fields with "placeholder text", then you still don't know which field the mouse is hovering over, which is the purpose of "Hover".   The purpose of hover is not to show the field.

Finally, the statement: "even if the field does not have focus, which is how the hoover state should work." is incorrect. "Hover" is not the same as "In Focus". Refer to point one above

Sorry again. The purpose of "Hover" is to let the user know which field the mouse is over.   I didn't say it was the same as focus.   Focus is when the field is selected.  Hover is when the mouse is over the field.  You , made my point for me.  It's a bug.   Hover should work no matter if the field is in focus or not, because it is two different things.

1 of 1 people found this helpful