2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 6:49 AM by briancrockett

Summary Fields Behaviour Change In FileMaker Pro 15?

briancrockett

I have some layouts where there are summary fields off to the side of the layout.

Normal behaviour is, FM doesn't calculate those fields until the user scrolls the window and make those fields visible.

I've noticed in 15 those fields begin to calculate as soon as the layout opens. This is really annoying as the fields are only used once and a while by management. Regular users get to use the layout without having to wait minutes while those fields calculate while management can simply scroll over to get their summaries. However in 15 they calculate all the time which will slow everyone down.

Is there anything I can do short of putting those fields on their own layout?

(Believe me I'd love to move them but the brass has repeatedly said no every time I mention it.)

• 1. Re: Summary Fields Behaviour Change In FileMaker Pro 15?
          siplus

put them on a tab / popover, regular users can't go to that tab / popover, managers can.

• 2. Re: Summary Fields Behaviour Change In FileMaker Pro 15?
            briancrockett

Thanks for your reply.

I finally got around to testing your advice.

I created a tab control and put all the summary fields on a tab other than the default tab. When I open the layout the summary fields don't recalculate until I click on the tab that they're in.

Now all I have to do is convince the big boys to let me put their stuff on a tab.

It's going to take some redesign of the layout as not all the summary fields were in the same place. They were all spread out to the right of the window border where they normally wouldn't show.

Maybe a popover is a better idea. I can put a button in the middle of the layout so the managers don't have to scroll around. Then they can change the found set and the summaries wouldn't calculate until they click on the popover button.