5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 5:19 PM by mikebeargie

WebDirect on FMS 13 ignores Script

LarsHed

I'm creating a page in FMP 13 published with WebDirect which will become the start page for entering different FMP pages in WebDirect. When a user enters the first WebDirect page I wish to show an almost empty page with a log in field and a button "Log in". Very simple.

BUT: Sometimes, about every second time, the page freezes when just showing FileMaker's top panel in Chrome, Safari or Explorer. Only after a mouse click WebDirect continues and runs my trigged startup script. This script hides the panels and it is trigged when the first database is is shown. The script is simple, just contains the general commands like enter Browse mode, Go to layout... , Hide Browse panel etc. I tried to trig in several ways and in different steps like On open database Go to layout, when this layout is shown the script is trigged etc. Or On first layout opening run script... etc

I guess there should be a simple solution or work around that ensures WebDirect to run the first script complete when starting. But how?

(We will upgrade to FMS 14 later this year and I have seen that the ability to hide panels on startup has been implemented so that solves a part of my problem. But maybe not the "freeze, then click"-problem.

• 1. Re: WebDirect on FMS 13 ignores Script
          mikebeargie

first off, ditch FMS13, WebDirect is greatly superior in 14, and even better in 15. Both performance and UI bugs were worked out and 13 is becoming outdated fast.

Post a copy of your current OnFirstWindowOpen script, and the settings under "File Options" here for review.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: WebDirect on FMS 13 ignores Script
            LarsHed

My script is in Swedish (Swedish FMP)  so the I guess it's no use to paste it - it is this simple:

In File options I choose the script trigger OnFirstWindowOpen ( I have tried to check the box Go to layout and chosen the actual layout as well, but it made no difference, so now I unchecked that option) and then choose the Script that says:

Go to layout (the first to show)

Hide/Show Menu bar [Hide]

Hide /Show Tool bar [Hide]

UpdateWindow [cleaned cache, both connections and stored data]

(also tried UpdateObject and targeted the only named object on the page - no result)

WebDirect often stops before the first script command is done, I guess before the OnFirstWindow is done. In some cases it continues but it takes like 10-15 sec before the script starts. If the user  tries to click something in the visible FMmenu bar the script starts and runs correctly - so it's not a major issue, just not elegant and a bit confusing for the user.

• 3. Re: WebDirect on FMS 13 ignores Script
              mikebeargie

In WebDirect, all scripting is evaluated on the server, so refresh window actions do not always perform as expected.

In newer versions of filemaker, the ability to hide menus is available in file options, another case for you to upgrade.

If you have Go To Layout in the script AND the file options, they conflict, you should only have it in the trigger script if you have it as part of the script.

• 4. Re: WebDirect on FMS 13 ignores Script
                LarsHed

Thanks Mike. I will upgrade to FMS 14 sooner. I tried also different combos of Cache Clean and "link clean" on UpdateWindow step - don't know if it has any real effect, but now I can't recreate the problem anymore so maybe something at least made the script to run - but sometimes with a bit of delay.  It seems Chrome handles this best while Explorer (as always) is shit. Safari in between.

• 5. Re: WebDirect on FMS 13 ignores Script
                  mikebeargie

It definitely sounds like it’s the speed of response from your server then. I’d also check the network connectivity between the user and the server.

FMS14 had a documented 25% speed increase over 13, so that should make a notable difference in stability for you.