9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 3:47 PM by schamblee

Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15

ChadBarnard

I have just upgraded a user's machine to FM15 from FM13.  They are using Windows 10.

When I launched FM15 for the first time, I noticed that entire database's field names were in a different font.  It's not the symbols that some have had issue with, this is just a different font.  I've cleared out the font cache, but it still shows this other font.

Also, I was trying to set up a new shortcut, by right clicking on the desktop, clicking new, and then shortcut; but when I type in the address, it says that the file can't be found.  I've tried it on several other machines, and it works fine, just not on this particular one.

Has anyone else run into any of the above?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
          schamblee

I noticed that entire database's field names were in a different font

If the font being used in the database is not install on the computer then FM will substitute another font.

Also, I was trying to set up a new shortcut, by right clicking on the desktop, clicking new, and then shortcut; but when I type in the address, it says that the file can't be found.

This is a Windows Error and means the file is not found at the path you typed.  It's best to  click browse then go to the file. 

Also Note:  The file should not be on a network drive, it can lead to file corruption.  A database should  be open on the host, then all clients should use open remote.   You can create a launch file to open the file.  How to create a way to quickly open networked files in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

• 2. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
            ChadBarnard

The font hasn't changed from when it was working fine on FIlemaker 13 to the installation of Filemaker 15, so the correct font is on the computer.  The font in question is "Arial Bold".

The path is correct.  It's working fine on all other 20+ computers, and was working fine on this one yesterday when FM13 was installed.

I didn't realize about the issues in making a shortcut.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll set up everyone's computer this way.

• 3. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
              schamblee

The only time FM changes the font is when the font can not be found.  There was an issue with a fonts being changed to @temp font that displayed garbage.

If the path was correct then you would not be getting the error.   Windows 8 & 10 has more security then previous version of Windows.  The computer is most likely not map to the network drive where the file is located, but again this is not the correct method to use FM databases.  It will cause File Corruption and loss of data.   The hosting computer, which I recommend using the same computer every time as the host, should open the file from the local drive, then each client would use open remote.

• 4. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
                ChadBarnard

So then doing it this way is incorrect, right?
                Opening shared databases remotely using a URL | FileMaker

That is the way that I have been doing it, not with the username password parameters, though.

If so, using the link that you provided, is there anyway to make it automated, so that the user clicks their shortcut and it takes them to the log in screen?

We have Filemaker Server 15 on a dedicated machine in the server room.

Going through the steps with the link you provided, it sends up an error, saying that I have to open it remotely.  Is there a way to construct a script using "Open Remote" to make it automated like the previous way I was doing it?

Also, the font is on his computer.  Deleted it, installed it again, it's still showing the incorrect font.

• 5. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
                  schamblee

So then doing it this way is incorrect, right?

Opening shared databases remotely using a URL | FileMaker

This is the correct script step to open a remote database.

If so, using the link that you provided, is there anyway to make it automated, so that the user clicks their shortcut and it takes them to the log in screen?

You would create a launcher database and the launcher database is placed on each computer. It will use an open file script step with a path such fmp://URL/databasename.fmp12.  This is the path of the remote database.  See the link you provided.

This is the way files should have been open before FMP15.   This is not new in FMP15

• 6. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
                    ChadBarnard

Okay.  I'm bad at explaining, so let's start from the beginning:

Currently, to connect users to the database, I'm using the technique detailed in the above link that I posted.  I create a shortcut on their desktop with the following path: fmp://URL/databasename.fmp12.  This is how I've done it for the last three years and everything has been fine.  If the above technique is correct, then great, that's what I'm using.

All machines (20+) have been upgraded to Filemaker 15.  All machines work as expected, except one.  When I try to make the shortcut I get the "file not found" error.  The path is correct and the exact same as all of the machines working.  The shortcut technique worked fine yesterday when it had Filemaker 13 installed.  I know that going from 13 to 15 doesn't affect this, I'm just trying to lay out the sequence of events in case anyone else has experienced this.

With the font issue, the database's theme uses Arial Bold.  This machine displayed fine when it was running Filemaker 13.  Once I upgraded to Filemaker 15, the font issue appeared.  All other machines are displaying fine.  Arial Bold is on this computer.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion, and we can start back from the initial post.

• 7. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
                      schamblee

There is no confusion.  

I gave you the link how FM suggest opening files.   

The url has to be correct and the ip address has to be accessible from said computer.   

I also stated that FM changes the font when the font is not on the machine, the font is corrupt,, and or the font is not accessible.  

You might try removing FM15 and Reinstalling.

• 8. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
                        ChadBarnard

As usual, the confusion was all mine.  Let's see if I can get there.

According to the link that you provided, Filemaker doesn't recommend making a shortcut, even if you're using fmp://URL/databasename.fmp12 as the path, right?

So, I need to make the place holder database, and in the script, instead of Open File, I need to have Open URL w/ fmp://URL/databasename.fmp12 as the path, right?  I then need to place this database on the network and just make shortcuts for this database on everyone's machines.

Thanks for your patience and I appreciate the help.

As for the font, I've removed Filemaker, reinstalled it, removed the font, reinstalled it, and it's still showing up wrong.  Yesterday, when it was first installed the user noticed that it started doing it after the upgrade.  He flushed his font cache and everything went to normal, but when he turned his machine on this morning it was messed up again.

• 9. Re: Shortcut and Font Display Issue on Windows 10 w/ FM15
                          schamblee

According to the link that you provided, Filemaker doesn't recommend making a shortcut, even if you're using fmp://URL/databasename.fmp12 as the path, right?

No, I didn't say that it does recommend making a shortcut.   It just shows using a launch file. 

Your first post didn't state that your were using the fmp::/url .  You do not want to open the file from a shared drive or map drive.

Opening shared databases remotely using a URL

Windows Firewall may be blocking the file from being open from the url.   Try using a launch file to see if it works.

I have not seen or hear of any other font issue as you have stated here.  The only time the font should change is if it is not available on the computer.   Try clearing the cache again since you reinstalled FM.

Report a Product Issue is the link to report issues.