1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2016 2:42 AM by bigtom

Value List

JimZ

Hello and thank you for your time,

I am trying to minimize the number of tables I use for a solution I am making. I used to have a table for every type of item that could be ordered on a build order database (about 10 tables not too many but kind of a pain to script). What I am now trying to do is instead make one table with a category field that will denote each type of item. However I want to then put these values into a value list depending on what category they are assigned. For example in one field (lets call it dingy) on the build order only information in the same record as category B can be entered. So in the dingy field only values from lets call it the Sail Field that are in the same records as the B values in the category field. I hope this isn't to confusing and again I thank you for your time ad help!

Category (Field Name)

(entries in Category over multiple records)

A

A

B

C

A

B

B

C

Thanks,

JimZ

• 1. Re: Value List
          bigtom

It sounds a little confusing but I think you are looking for a conditional value list. The confusing part of your question is how dingy is connected to category B. Why is dingy a filed name? A better explanation would help.

Anyway with conditional value lists you should only need two tables for your example. I think you can search on conditional value lists or maybe post a sample file of what you are trying to do exactly along with how you have it now.