7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 11:50 AM by user27234

Windows permissions on external container folders

user27234

Filemaker Server 15.0.1.137

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Filemaker Pro 15 client

Currently encountering Windows permissions issues on folders used for external containers.

This is a critical issue which prevents proper operation of the solution we have developed.

PDFs are stored in container fields which are themselves stored externally on the Windows Server file system,

When PDFs are added, all works fine but if there are deleted and then added again (aka replaced), then the Windows permissions on the container folder are screwed up, Filemaker Server is unable to access the directory and the PDF cannot be added/updated.

The folder is rendered inaccessible:

Microsoft Remote DesktopScreenSnapz002.png

Screenshots below show OS level security permissions on a folder for document03 before and after the replacement attempt:

BEFORE - works fine

Microsoft Remote DesktopScreenSnapz004.png

AFTER - directory inaccessible to Filemaker Server, and PDF cannot be uploaded into container field:

Microsoft Remote DesktopScreenSnapz003.png

• 1. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
          TSGal

user27234:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 15.0.1, I created a database file with four Container fields named: Container, InteractiveContainer, ContainerStored, InteractiveContainerStored.  The latter two having open external storage.

2. I turned on Network Sharing, and uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 15.0.1 on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine.

3. I opened the hosted file with FileMaker Pro 15.0.1, added a record, and inserted four different PDF files into the four fields.

4. After committing the record, I went into the FileMaker Server directory and found the two files in the Remote storage folder.

5. Back in FileMaker Pro 15.0.1, I removed the four PDF files from the Container fields.

6. I then inserted the same four PDF files into the four Container fields.

7. Again, after committing the record, I am able to go into the FileMaker Server directory, and open each of the PDF files in Acrobat Reader.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
            user27234

Hi TSGal

I am removing the contents of the container fields using script.

I have (up to) ten PDFs in a batch of documents, and they always occupy the lowest n slots.

e.g. I have document01 through document10

If there are two documents they occupy 01 and 02 slots.

If a new document is uploaded it goes in 03.

If I delete 01, then 02 and 03 are moved “down” to 01 and 02 respectively, 03 cleared by script “Set Field By Name

In order to achieve this, all interaction is control through scripting - the contained fields cannot be entered with the cursor or tabbing during data entry.

Perhaps I can share the file with you?

Also, if you send me yours I can upload on our server and see if we have a configuration or WIndows permissions problem.

Andy Barlow - CTO - MBCS CITP CENG EUR ING

e: andy.barlow@sdxmessaging.com

t: +44 (0)7830 302 268

The information in this email or facsimile is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee(s) and access to this email or facsimile by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient then any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Information expressed in this email or facsimile is not given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message.

• 3. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
              TSGal

user27234:

I have created another file described exactly above, and I have forwarded it to our Technical Support liaison.  You should receive the file shortly.  If you don't receive the file within 60 minutes, please let me know, and I'll make sure the file is sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
                user27234

Hi TSGal

I have received the file, I’ll upload to our server and see what happens.

If the problem happens with your file, it must be environmental on our system

If the problem does not occur with your file, I’ll add some scripts to replicate the mechanism we use to manage the container fields

If I recreate the problem with your file and my scripts, I’ll send the file back to you so you can at least recreate the issue

If I cannot recreate the issue, I’ll send you a copy of the solution we’ve built and hopefully you can recreate

Thanks for your  help on this, much appreciated.

The information in this email or facsimile is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee(s) and access to this email or facsimile by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient then any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Information expressed in this email or facsimile is not given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message.

• 5. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
                  user27234

Hi TSGal

Please see attached, a revised database with logic similar to that in our solution.

Whilst it does not exhibit exactly the same behaviour (because it seems to think that the documents are NOT empty when they actually are (there are no folders for the container once deleted, but the software thinks they are there), and it displays a ? in the container) I suspect it demonstrates there’s some sort of synchronisation issue around Windows folders for containers.

Note that the folder is a calculation based on the id of the record.

I had to add a password:

u/n Admin

p/w user27234

I hope this helps, there does appear to be something “strange” going on even if not the same.

• 6. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
                    TSGal

user27234:

The issue is in your script.

In almost every instance, you initialize the variables $current_document and  $next_document with "document0" & GetAsText ($i)     [ or ($i+1) ].

However, in line 27, you forgot to include a 0 (zero).  This causes FileMaker to reference an invalid field thereby displaying a "?".  Change line 27 to:

Set Variable [ $next_document ; Value: "user27234::document0" & GetAsText ($i+1) ]

That is, add a "0" after "document".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Windows permissions on external container folders
                      user27234

TSGal

Thanks for this, it gave different symptoms in our solution but certainly a bug we didn’t find, thank you!

I’ve amended the script in production and will inform the client we have a fix they should test and verify.

Thanks again for your help, this was a VERY strange bug in terms of its end impact (which seemed to “mess up” the directory permissions, which I suspect was an unintended side-effect)!