1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 3, 2016 6:44 AM by wimdecorte

Log security problems

clayhendrix

I am new to security in FMP. I have always had a team mate that handled security.

I am trying to limit access to view or modify certain fields. I suppose everyone who uses security is, though, right?

Regardless, I have not set it up correctly. I would like to know if there is a way to log security violations or to see what security settings have prevented users (me logged in as another user) from proceeding in the things they should be able to do.

I have searched on here and online. The FileMaker Security publication is not helping me troubleshoot my issues (which generally are users cannot do what they need to be able to do because I do not know who to properly manage security).

1. Is there a thread on here or a document you would recommend that I read?
      2. Can I log or view the logs of instances where security settings have blocked a user from doing something he/she tried to do?
      3. Do I have to close the file and login as another user EVERYTIME?

Thanks, in advance!

• 1. Re: Log security problems
          wimdecorte

No, there is no log, and yes; you basically have to log in and out as different users as part of your testing.

If you are using Record Level Access settings then you could build your own log by using a plugin that records when a user accesses a record for view / edit / create / delete but it is not a trivial undertaking.

The best approach is just to test the workflows that you need to check and do it step by step with the debugger and reflect on each step whether it should be allowed or not and then check the result and fix where necessary.