4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 7:38 PM by sastickf

Window Won't Close & Layout Mode Errors

sastickf

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1.119

OS and version: Mac 10.10.5

Browser and version: N/A, not WebDirect

Hardware: MacBook Pro with Retina

Description: I was working to change the appearance of edit box fields to add/remove the corner rounding.  When I clicked on the field, the type of the object remained as "Layout Background" and it never recognized the fields as edit boxes.  I then noticed that the mode still said "Browse" even though I was in Layout mode.  I tried to change to browse mode & back to layout several times and it continued to say that I was in the "Browse" mode, even though I wasn't.  Also, when I tried to close any of the open windows with the red button, there was no response, and the "Quit FileMaker" menu command was greyed and unavailable, so I had to force quit & revert to my most recent file backup. Thankfully I had made one about 20 minutes previously.

How to replicate: After losing work several times in FM 12 due to a similar issue, I have not tried to replicate it and have reverted back to working in FM 14.  I am still reaping the consequences of files that were damaged in FM12 and don't want to go through that again.  I'm surprised that no one else has reported a similar situation yet... or have they TSGalJ?  (I saved a copy of the files that I had to force quit and were abandoned.)

Workaround (if any): Revert back to FileMaker Pro Advanced 14

• 1. Re: Window Won't Close & Layout Mode Errors
          TSGal

sastickf:

Thank you for your post.

First, I have not encountered this type of incorrect state, and I don't see any similar issue reported.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, which plug-ins?  If you temporarily disable the plug-ins, do you encounter this issue?

When you get into this strange state, are you able to select other applications?  The next time this occurs, launch Activity Monitor to see how much memory FileMaker Pro is using.  This may provide a clue.

Are there any dialog windows active?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Window Won't Close & Layout Mode Errors
            sastickf

Hello TSGal,

Thank you very much for your timely response.  I appreciate your pointers of what to check to troubleshoot my situation.  I would be very hesitant to return to developing in FM 15 Advanced if others were reporting the same situation, but since there are not other occurrences, I will and will make frequent backups....

The only plugin I have/had installed is: BaseElements;3.0;Enabled

I was able to select other applications when in the state.

There were not any dialog windows active, but I think there were a couple files from 1-2 other unrelated solutions open at the time (but am not positive about this).

I will post again if/when I have the incorrect state happen again.

Sincerely,

Sarah

• 3. Re: Window Won't Close & Layout Mode Errors
              TSGal

sastickf:

Thank you for the additional information.

BaseElements plug-in is fine.

Being able to select other applications means this issue is probably FileMaker Pro related and not system related. 

Having "1-2 other unrelated solutions open at the time" is fine.

If the issue occurs again, launch Activity Monitor and make note of the memory used for FileMaker Pro.  Go to Force Quit and see if FileMaker Pro is displayed with "(not responding)".  Lastly, write down as many actions as you can recall just prior to getting into the bad state.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Window Won't Close & Layout Mode Errors
                sastickf

Thank you as well for your additional guidance TSGal.  I went back to working in FileMaker 15 today, so I will do my best to keep track of the information you requested if/when it would happen again... and I hope it won't... I hope that was a fluke!