3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 8:55 AM by ezeitgeist

Have a User ID create a record (with that User ID associated) in a linked table?

ezeitgeist

My help request is two-fold:

(1) I have a table of Users (with unique User_ID as unique number). I want to eventually put it to a web page and have each user be able to login and only see their User_ID associated records.

Example: Table 1 = Users, Table 2 = Meetings. I want a user to be able to see only his or her meetings. I've created a portal that shows the results, but I am not sure how to limit use to one User and only seeing his or her specific results. Currently the layout with the portal has a different record per User_ID.

(2) I also want a User to be able to create a new record (a Meeting) and have it automatically generate that User_ID associated to make it uniquely connected to that User. Ie. Instead of "new record" and the User would have to put in their own User_ID for the relationship to connect, the record would auto-generate the User_ID field in the "Meetings" table so that the portal (from part 1 above) works.

I am in Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.

Is this possible? If yes, how? Thank you ahead for any advice!

• 1. Re: Have a User ID create a record (with that User ID associated) in a linked table?
          bigtom

I think you should do a simple search for Portals and understand how to create table relationships.

You will  by default only see that users meetings in the portal when you are on that users record. This will limit display. Controlling actual user record access can get complicated, but you can do a decent job limiting the Menus and with scripting.

The portal will auto create the relationship. I am attaching an example file. The file is used for creating notes for people. You can easily replace notes with meetings. As you can each user/client sees only their notes based on the relationship.

• 2. Re: Have a User ID create a record (with that User ID associated) in a linked table?
            PeterDoern

If more than one User can attend the same meeting then you'll have to look into a join table, e.g. "Attendance", that will link users to meetings.

• 3. Re: Have a User ID create a record (with that User ID associated) in a linked table?
              ezeitgeist

Downloaded and reviewed. I've already created something like this already with a table of Users and a Table of Meetings. Only one User will be at each meeting. A portal to show matching results.

What I need though is while on one User, how do I trigger creating a new Meeting with an auto-filled field for User that is THAT User.

Eg. I am in User_1 record that shows all Meetings that user has had. User_1 has a new meeting and clicks a button to add the Meeting details. I need the new Meeting to auto-populate that User_1 ID so it will automatically show up in User_1 portal.

I am eventually bringing this online with php so the users and the linked creation record may be a php thing. I am still learning on that front, but trying to design as much offline as I can.