8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 11:36 PM by danielfarnan

Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?

Dennis_Carr

Hi. I'm trying to use and learn Web Direct for the first time ever on FMS 15. I have minimum specs on the iMac doing the hosting and set up a minimal WebDirect file (2 fields, no scripts). When I launch from the server Safari or Safari from my LAN computer, I see the WebDirect filename but get a continuous spinning open circle. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
          mikebeargie

use a different browser to check and see if it's a browser issue.

Does the webdirect landing page open? ( http://localhost/fmi/webd/ from your server)

Does it eventually open if you leave it up?

Did you make sure your server OS was compatible with FMS15?

Is there anything else on your network conflicting on port 80?

• 2. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
            Dennis_Carr

Mike,

Thank you for responding.

More detail: The server has 4gigs, running OS X El Capitan which is approved for FMS15.

I have 2 servers on my LAN, one running FMS 11 and the other FMS 15.

Other FMP files on 15 other than the WebDirect run fine on the LAN. I have tried closing those files so only the WebDirect file is active with the same result.

I am using Safari on the client and on the server and getting the same spinning problem.

There are no cookies on the server Safari (new install).

I tried using FoxFire which doesn't work at all.

The WebDirect landing page opens with the file I created visible on the page above the spinning circle.

I do get a big red warning about the certificate that is included with the server on top of the spinning circle.

I've left the circle spinning for more than 10 minutes.

Not sure about port 80. If port 80 were the problem, wouldn't other FMP files on the server 15 not function as well?

• 3. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
              mikebeargie

Port 80 and 443 are specific to web publishing and webdirect. Port 5003 is used by filemaker pro, and the web publishing engine isn’t even part of that connection.

Firefox isn’t a compatible browser; I’ve had the best experience with Chrome.

The certificate warning may be a clue, perhaps you are trying to connect to the wrong address. From the server itself you can try localhost or 127.0.0.1. From another computer make sure you are using the same IP address that you use to connect via filemaker pro.

• 4. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
                danielfarnan

I have had the same issue, although my copy of FMS15 is on a Mac OS X 10.11 VM with 16GB RAM and four cores apportioned.

The red warning label does not appear to be in any way related to the ability of WebDirect to provide the files, because the Launch Centre opens and displays the databases according to the settings specified. However, even after closing the warning message the Launch Centre has a spinning blue circle in the bottom section. The browser (Safari 9.1.3) will highlight the database icon on MouseOver, clicking on the icon will connect to the database (as verified by an open connection showing on the server admin) but the browser displays a spinning circle and never loads the interface. This behaviour is evident whether I use Safari in the VM or on my host Mac.

I installed Chrome v53.0.2785.89 on my VM, opened that and navigated to the Launch Centre, which gave the red warning about an insecure connection (which Chrome had already warned me about) but finished displaying page without any spinning blue circle. I was able to successfully open one of the hosted databases via WebDirect using Chrome.

• 5. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
                  beverly

it may be related to these reported issues:

So there are reports with Windows and MacOS servers (and clients).

Please post your results to one of the above reports and/or link to this thread there.

beverly

• 6. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
                    danielfarnan

Thanks, beverly, but I think this issue is different to what is in those other threads. They all seem to involve the connection working initially and then idle time results in the never-ending wait. The issue that I and the original poster had was that the user was never able to open a database because the Launch Centre never finished loading. Even direct connections (https://server/fmi/webd#dbname) would not load because of the issue.

• 7. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
                      beverly

yes, and they may all be related in some way. TS needs to know all the details to make that determination.

There are 'timeout' issues with WD 15 that need to be addressed regardless of when it occurs.

beverly

• 8. Re: Spinning open circle while trying to open WebDirect for first time?
                        danielfarnan

Some more details:

VM is running OS X v10.11.6, 16GB RAM with FMS v15.0.1.137 using the FDS subscription license (max 3 concurrent connections).

Host machine is an iMac 5k 27" Late 2015 with 64GB RAM, 4GHz i7 that is also running OS X v10.11.6.

I uninstalled FMS from the VM and reinstalled; no change in the reported behaviour. Chrome v53 works, Safari v9 experiences the issue.

I shut down the VM and installed the same version of FMS using the same license on the Host computer. I tried WebDirect immediately after starting up and it worked correctly in Safari (yay!). I then copied the three files I am working on for my solution into the active databases folder and changed the owner details. The databases could not be opened because they automatically open with a [Full Access] account and I hadn't adjusted the "Host password-protected databases only" setting. I changed that (and turned on SSL), restarted FMS and opened the databases, verified that their FMWebDirect access is set and then reloaded the WebDirect Launch Centre - voilá, the problem showed up.

I then turned off SSL and restarted FMS, reloaded WD Launch Centre - success! The page loads and I can open a database.

Some further notes on setup - this is my main development machine and I have not set up a custom SSL certificate nor given the machine a domain name (it has the <machine>.local domain available but I'm not going to try and get a certificate on that!). The same goes for the VM, I'm trying to do a minimal amount of setup work. One thing that may be pertinent is that I modified the FM Host name on both machines as part of the installation process rather than using the default value that appeared. I am going to try reinstalling FMS on the VM and see what happens if I do not change this value.