7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 9:00 AM by richardsrussell

first solution finished, sort of

wraynewton

I have been working on my first real filemaker solution for months now. As of Tuesday it is live on a server and being used by the 6 people in our company across two different offices and one mobile user. It feels good to be finished, but if I've learned anything it's that a solution is never really finished in the traditional sense of the word. I've also learned that even if you ask people multiple times and have them write down what they want and don't want, they will still come up with things they don't like about the finished product, even when a feature was their idea.

It was a huge learning process for me and the tweaks and updates will continue for the foreseeable future, but I'm glad I had the experience. Thanks to all of you who asked questions and answered questions and provided me with plenty of assistance either directly or indirectly over the past few months. There's no way I would have finished the project without this resource.

• 1. Re: first solution finished, sort of
          beverly

welcome to Developers' World. Yes, they see things they like and get into Hey-what-if, too!

Solutions are never done.

Stick around and share your experience with the next person trying something similar. You'll learn by helping as well. And congratulations!!

beverly

• 2. Re: first solution finished, sort of
            Extensitech

wraynewton wrote:

if I've learned anything it's that a solution is never really finished in the traditional sense of the word. I've also learned that even if you ask people multiple times and have them write down what they want and don't want, they will still come up with things they don't like about the finished product, even when a feature was their idea.

So true!

With some clients you can see it coming, just when they're trying to describe what they want. Others sound SO sure... until you do it!

I sometimes wish I could convince potential clients that the best approach would be to build the solution together... then wait a few months and completely rebuild it now that they actually know what they want. (It's not as crazy as it sounds.. rebuilding with crystal clear requirement is SO much faster!) Even though the first time around will work, there's always at least a little bit of "if I'd known then what I know now..."

Like Beverly said, welcome to Developer's World! Always good to see new developers joining, and contributing to, the community.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 3. Re: first solution finished, sort of
              coherentkris

Their is a hidden requirement in every project that goes something like..."I want the system to do everything i want before i think of it."

Nailing down requirements is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

• 4. Re: first solution finished, sort of
                sreese

coherentkris wrote:

Nailing down requirements is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

I think its easier to nail Jello to a wall.

• 5. Re: first solution finished, sort of
                  sreese

wraynewton wrote:

I have been working on my first real filemaker solution for months now. As of Tuesday it is live on a server and being used by the 6 people in our company across two different offices and one mobile user. It feels good to be finished, but if I've learned anything it's that a solution is never really finished in the traditional sense of the word.

Congratulations. That feeling is pretty good isn't it ? Welcome to the developer world.

• 6. Re: first solution finished, sort of
                    lkeyes

Congratulations!

Would you care to share a little bit about your solution?  Sounds like it is an essential business tool for your company. 

• 7. Re: first solution finished, sort of
                      richardsrussell

2 things I always tell my clients:

(1) At the beginning of our relationship, I always emphasize that "There is no such thing as a finished database. There are abandoned databases, but any database that has any utility at all can always be improved. And you should!"

(2) Whenever they take on a new employee, I tell them "You have just acquired a precious asset: fresh eyes! Your new worker hasn't yet become accustomed to all the infelicities, shortcomings, omissions, and awkwardnesses in the database and learned to live with them or how to work around them, the way all you old hands have. Make sure that they have a notepad and pen ready to hand as they sit down to learn the database and make them take notes. Anything that doesn't work the way they think it should, or they have trouble finding or figuring out — let's find out what it is now, before they too become complacent about it."

Continuous quality improvement, AKA total quality management. It's the "Deming Way", and it should be ours as well.