5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 4:04 PM by stephensexton

Migrating data between solutions, what is faster and safer ?

Wicktor

Hello everyone,

I have browsed treads about this and I have seen various opinions which often don’t match so I would like to know how experienced developers manage situations like this.

I have a solution on FM14 Server with 36 Tables for a total of some 750k records and I need to periodically make small changes to the solution (about every two months).

Which should be the FASTER and SAFER procedure for migrating data from older to newer ?

a) exporting data from each Table into separate files (in such case which format: CSV or tab or…?)  from older solution and then import into newer solution

b) importing directly from the older solution using scripts

c) with both solutions uploaded into FM server or both as stand.alone

Thanks for all opinions

Vic

• 1. Re: Migrating data between solutions, what is faster and safer ?
          mikebeargie

option b with standalone (unhosted) is the most reliable.

However, I would like to throw out option D, the data separation model. This is where your data is stored in a separate file, negating the need for "data migrations" as you roll out new versions of the UI file. Simply close the UI file and replace it with the updated UI file, no change to the data file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Migrating data between solutions, what is faster and safer ?
            mikebeargie

Also, exporting to .tab or .csv and then reimporting introduces a new set of issues. When transferring data you should always be working in the .fmp12 format for highest compatibility.

• 3. Re: Migrating data between solutions, what is faster and safer ?
              Wicktor

Mike, thank you very much.

option (b) is what I have used until now so I am glad I am on the right track.

The idea of data separation model has always raised my attention (I was working on 4th dimension before moving to FM).

I am just a bit worried for two reasons:

- having to change the internal structure of the solution with many calculated fields

- sometimes I need to add a field or two and that requires changing the data file too

But if find somewhere exhaustive documentation how to migrate into data separation, I think I will seriously consider to change the solution in that way.

I would say that FMP itself should be natively based on data separation model...

• 4. Re: Migrating data between solutions, what is faster and safer ?
                mikebeargie

Technically speaking, Filemaker IS based on the data separation model. That’s how you can do things like scripts and calculations, and ODBC connections, without having anything to do with UI. FileMaker just does (a better job IMHO) combining the data layer and UI layer into one file.

• 5. Re: Migrating data between solutions, what is faster and safer ?
                  stephensexton

Trying to predict ahead a little by adding some (initially) unused fields to some of your data tables can help a great deal with the data separation model... mainly the tables where there may be obvious potential for change.  This can keep you going with making changes only to the UI file for a longer period of time, before needing to run a "full" update of the data file using import scripts.  You could also create a few blank tables in the data file with some commonly required fields such as RecordUUID, a date field or two, Created, Modified, and a series of text fields etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful