2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 11:50 AM by AndreasT

PostScript fonts not recognized in FileMaker 14/15 on Mac

AndreasT

Platform: Mac OS X 10.10.5

FM version: 14.v5 and 15v1

After converting a .fp7 solution to .fmp12 I noticed that a certain PostScript font (Domestos Sans) did not display. All instances of this font had reverted to Helvetica on all layouts. This issue may affect some or all Postscript fonts.

The font is available in the font menu, but is not recognized as being the font in use.

Opening the files in FM version 13v9 correctly displays the font. It is displayed as "Domestos Sans-Normal" in the Font menu.

I noticed that the font name in v14/15 is different, it is displayed as "DomestosSans"

Manually changing the font to this works, but is not practical in a large solution with many files and lots of layouts.

I took a look at the XML in ClipManager and the font name is defined there as "Domestos Sans-Normal". After changing the font in FM14/15 the XML shows "DomestosSans-Normal". The space is gone.

This seems like a bug in FM 14/15.

There is a similar report here:

FMP 13 OK, but FMP 14 substitutes Frutiger fonts with Helvetica

• 1. Re: PostScript fonts not recognized in FileMaker 14/15 on Mac
          TSGal

AndreasT:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 14 started using the system fonts and font names.  For example, if you go into TextEdit and look at the fonts, you will also see "DomestosSans" (without the space).

If a font cannot be found, then it will default to Helvetica.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PostScript fonts not recognized in FileMaker 14/15 on Mac
            AndreasT

Thank you TSGal for your swift response.

Indeed you are right about that and it explains why it happens.

I still feel that this could have been handled in a much better way. When FM decides to make such a fundamental change, they must know that a lot of users will get issues after converting older files, or even from v13 files.

How about doing what other programs, like Indesign, has always done when they cannot find a font?

Ask for a substitute font. Could be a setting in Layout mode to globally replace a certain font. Sounds simple to me.

Just my 2- cents.

Now I have to explain to the client why he needs to spend more money on fixing a problem that he did not create after I made the sell for him to "upgrade" to 15. For some reason they use this font everywhere in a 40-file solution. I just got a list from him today about emergency layouts they need fixed at once. There are over 50 layouts in that list, for starters. Yay.

A tip for someone in the same predicament, is to use Clip Manager to search/replace the font name on the whole layout. It works, but some minor cleanup afterwards is required.

Still, it is much faster than manually adjusting every object on a layout to various variants of a font family.

A.