5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 9:35 AM by TSGal

8461 "Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid" in Recovery.log

TonyWhite

Hi All,

I have a large system that has crashed 2 times in the past 2 days.
      We swapped out hardware and it is running now. Meanwhile, I am running some tests on the FileMaker system.

Verify block structure = OK

“diagnostic recovery”...
      The Recovery.log is showing the following message 78 times:

Error Code: 8461
      Message:   Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid

There is a help document named...
      Messages that appear in Recover.log
      https://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7365/~/messages-that-appear-in-recover.log
      ...that mentions that this message can appear, but does not say what it means.

Does anyone know what this message means?

Thanks.

Tony White

• 1. Re: 8461 "Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid" in Recovery.log
          wimdecorte

Do you have a copy of FMdiff to try on the bad unrecovered files?

This could be case where there are bad blocks that the recovery stripped out and they just happened to contain field data...

• 2. Re: 8461 "Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid" in Recovery.log
            TonyWhite

Last night I ran the file that is reporting the 8461 error through FMDiff 3 and it came back with no errors.

I had already run a FileMaker Server schedule with Verify on, and there were no email notification errors (indicating that the block structure was OK). Just to double check the block structure, last night I ran a manual menu > File > Recover... > Check Consistency button, and the blocks were reported as being OK again.

When I am worried about a file or set of files I run the following 4 tests:

1. Verify block structure (using a schedule)
            2. “diagnostic recovery” https://community.filemaker.com/ideas/1235
            3. FMDiff
            4. Database Design Report (DDR) and validate XML (usually by importing into BaseElements)

In this case, I have run the first 3 tests and plan to run the 4th over the weekend.

The file that is reporting the 8461 error in the Recovery.log is 4.79 GB [4,000,000+ records]...which means that I need to think strategically because each action that I take will take a long time.

I am hoping that  TSGalTSPigeon or someone from FileMaker, Inc. will tell the community what...
            Error Code: 8461
            Message:   Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid
            ...means.

Thanks.

Tony White
            http://www.twdesigns.com
            http://FileMaker-Fanatics.com

• 3. Re: 8461 "Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid" in Recovery.log
              TSGal

TonyWhite:

Error 8461 generally occurs if (1) a record being recovered has data that looks like it is from a field or repetition that doesn't exist or no longer exists, or (2) the text in a field is bad; either unterminated or Unicode that can't be properly expanded.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: 8461 "Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid" in Recovery.log
                TonyWhite

Thanks TSGal, that is useful...

OK, we most likely have data that does not have corresponding enclosing structure, in the form of a FieldID or possibly a FieldID+Repetition or maybey we know the FieldID+Repetition and the text/data is bad.

Is there a way to tell which record (by way of the under-the-hood RecordID) the data should be part of?

Allow me to define the terms of my question...

A FileMaker table has Records and Fields. The intersection of a Record and a Field would be a Cell (using the language of the FileMaker AppleScript dictionary)
                As entity–relationship diagram (ERD): Record -< Cell >- Field

Is data stored in the FileMaker file by record? (That would be my guess.)

I can imagine cases of FileMaker data corruption where the under the hood RecordID of the data is known. In those cases, it would be useful to return the under the hood RecordID in the recovery.log.

The 8461 error does not return the under-the-hood RecordID. Might be a good enhancement to the recovery.log (if possible).

I am seeing 79 lines with the error message:  “Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid
                Does that mean that there are 79 records that have the issue? Does it mean something else?

Would the error message that we are seeing be contiguous RecordIDs, or records in the same 4K block that, due to the adding and deleting of data, would likely be non-contiguous?

The lines before and after the 8461 errors lines are...

[begin excerpt]
                0    Recovering fields for table 'Foo'
                0    Recovering: field catalog
                0      Rebuilding field catalog order list: name
                0      Rebuilding field catalog order list: custom
                0      Rebuilding field catalog order list: type
                0      Recovering data for table 'Foo'
                0    Recovering: library catalog
                0      Rebuilding library catalog order list: quick reference
                8461      Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid
                ...   // 77 more:
                Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid
                8461      Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid
                0      Evaluating library (129)
                0      Recovering: field 'CreationDate' (1)
                [end excerpt]

Would an export reveal which records have bad data?
                (Looking for the easiest way to locate the bad records)

Thanks for any insights that you can provide on this. File integrity is at the top of our list.

Tony White
                Tony White Designs, Inc.
                http://www.twdesigns.com
                http://FileMaker-Fanatics.com

• 5. Re: 8461 "Deleted invalid field data, ID or repetition invalid" in Recovery.log
                  TSGal

TonyWhite:

Several loaded questions...

> Is there a way to tell which record (by way of the under-the-hood RecordID) the data should be part of?

Not currently.  There are too many factors.  Once a new record is committed, the data for each field is assigned a RecordID.  If for some reason, the commit doesn't update properly, the 8461 error could be attributed to all the fields for one record.  If a field is deleted, and not all references to that field are properly updated, the 8461 could be attributed to the one field across multiple records.

> Is data stored in the FileMaker file by record?

Yes.  Each piece of data contains a tableID, recordID and fieldID.

> Does that mean that there are 79 records that have the issue? Does it mean something else?

As mentioned above, it could be 79 records, 79 fields, or some combination.

> Would the error message that we are seeing be contiguous RecordIDs, or records in the same 4K block that,

> due to the adding and deleting of data, would likely be non-contiguous?

Very doubtful it would be the same 4K block.  If there was damage to a block, the operating system would override and display a message.

> Would an export reveal which records have bad data?

> (Looking for the easiest way to locate the bad records)

Again, doubtful as the ID's would not match up to an existing field or record.  However, I would export the data before Recover, export after Recover, and then compare the two files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.