10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 8:37 AM by mikebeargie

loading bar or static image

luanaf

Hello,
      I created a script that provides a number of import (one by one) from different files for different tables.
      When I run it on Mac it is very fast but on iPad (FM Go 13) the script is slower and while loading the data displays all the tables where as is writing.
      you can set an image or a static loading bar?
      Thank you

• 1. Re: loading bar or static image
          mikebeargie

You just need to change the layouts themselves. EG create specific "Import ___ table" layouts where the fields themselves are off screen in the hidden zone, and your message "Importing ____ table" is in the body instead. This way filemaker can interact with the layout/table/fields, but your users will only see the message in the body part of the screen.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: loading bar or static image
            luanaf

Thanks for the advice, I try now !!

• 3. Re: loading bar or static image
              luanaf

It works, thanks.

But the bar that instead contains the "record to be deleted" message, or record "Sorting records" or "number of imported records" (with numbers that grow or decrease) is possible hide it?

Thanks

• 4. Re: loading bar or static image
                mikebeargie

Not really on the client side, those are system dialogs that you have no control over.

Is there any way you can adapt your script to use “Perform Script on Server”? This way all those system dialogs would never show to the user since the server is doing the actions.

• 5. Re: loading bar or static image
                  luanaf

At the push of a button performs:
                  - Deletes data from tables (on different tables ipad)
                  - Import record into tables (ipad) from server
                  I can move the scipt of server?
                  Will be different ipad.
                  Thank you

• 6. Re: loading bar or static image
                    mikebeargie

You might want to try out the sync solutions out there already to see how they handle dialogs during sync. Most do not work on a delete/import premise, but rather process record changes individually, which would not result in the dialogs you see now.

So in this case your technique may be causing the dialogs more than anything. And since local processing on the iPad is required, it may not be work you can push to the server.

Some of the sync solutions out there are:

FMEasySync (free)

GoZync

MirrorSync

• 7. Re: loading bar or static image
                      luanaf
                      Thanks, I look at the solutions that you have proposed.
                      Another question.. the application of ipad is related with some tables on the server.
                      However, if the device is offline, so it does not reach the server with the other files, you see the "file.fmp12 not found" message and asked me to look for him.
                      Being different linked files for each file returns me constantly "warning / error".
                      It's possible to avoid seeing this message?

Thanks
                      • 8. Re: loading bar or static image
                        mikebeargie

It’s possible only if you detach yourself from those references. The sync products I linked you to all take care of creating an “offline” environment so you can use the iPad offline.

• 9. Re: loading bar or static image
                          luanaf

So it is only possible with other products not only with pure filemaker. Correct?

• 10. Re: loading bar or static image
                            mikebeargie

FMEasySync is pure filemaker, and open source. It does have limitations (can be slow on large data sets, can crash the ipad with large data sets) but it’s free so it is what it is.

I believe GoZync also is written in pure filemaker, but it costs money since it is a supported product.

MirrorSync works with the FileMaker Web Publishing Engine, but has a Java application that you install on your server that generates and manages your configuration and licensing.