11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 1:31 PM by wimdecorte

The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded

ChristofferRexen_1

So, one of our Client's received the message when trying to enter a certain field, actually regardless of which type of field he tries to enter or exit..

"The host's capacity was exceeded, try again later."

Our setup:

FileMaker Server 13, V.13.0.5.520

51 Databases hostet out of 51

4 Schedules enabled

22 Clients connected (As I write this)

Client Settings:

Limited to 250 FileMaker Pro client connections

Limited to 55 maximum simultaneous script sessions

Limit on hosted Files:

Limited to 125 maximum number of files to host

The Client:

Mac Mini OS X Yosemite

FMP 13.0v5

The problem only occurs on our newest developed and deployed database, MMXV, which is sort of a gateway, for all our other databases.

That said, all our 22 clients, are connected to the database, MMXV, but are not 'using it' , as it is not our primary database.

So my question is, how come does the Client using MMXV, including myself, experience this issue?
      Any thoughts?

Best regards

• 1. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
          Mike_Mitchell

How are the users connecting? What client (FM Pro / Advanced, Go, WebDirect)?

• 2. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
            wimdecorte

Check the FMS event log and the access.log (hope you had that one turned on).  Also configure FMS to log/send a warning if it gets near capacity; that could help you get some more insight.

What version of FMP do the clients use?

No triggers of any kind that use PSoS?

• 3. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
              ChristofferRexen_1

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

All clients are using FM Pro, either 13 or 14.

wimdecorte

I can't seem to find any entries in the log saying "Capacity problems"

Although, I do have 2 PSoS running every day in the MMXV database.

Could this be the issue, and how do I address this then?

• 4. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                wimdecorte

ChristofferRexen_1 wrote:

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

All clients are using FM Pro, either 13 or 14.

wimdecorte

I can't seem to find any entries in the log saying "Capacity problems"

Although, I do have 2 PSoS running every day in the MMXV database.

Could this be the issue, and how do I address this then?

You mention that you have the max scripting sessions set to 55 so the 2 PSoS should not be a problem, but do check the stats.log and access log.

Could it be that you have a rogue file reference somewhere that points to another server that does not have the necessary available sessions?

• 5. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                  Mike_Mitchell

So, one of our Client's received the message when trying to enter a certain field, actually regardless of which type of field he tries to enter or exit..

I'm with Wim on this one: It sounds like there's a Script Trigger that's firing off a PSoS session (or attempting to). Check the server to see what sessions are coming in and out. PSoS sessions have a very specific log entry, relatively easy to spot.

That said, all our 22 clients, are connected to the database, MMXV, but are not 'using it' , as it is not our primary database.

Doesn't matter whether they're "using it" or not. If they're connected, they're consuming a session. The server still has to maintain the connection.

• 6. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                    ChristofferRexen_1

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

I'm with Wim on this one: It sounds like there's a Script Trigger that's firing off a PSoS session (or attempting to). Check the server to see what sessions are coming in and out. PSoS sessions have a very specific log entry, relatively easy to spot.

Mike, you're right, it's a Script Trigger, triggering a PSoS Script.

Now, since I haven't scripted the thing, and don't want to disable anything, how do I manage to overcome this specific issue?

- I've attached the Script firing.

• 7. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                      Mike_Mitchell

So this script is running in a PSoS session?

• 8. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                        ChristofferRexen_1

Sorry for the very late reply..

The Script is running as a Subscript in our Database, as a Perform Script on Server.

- See attached image.

Now my boss have disabled the PSoS script step, as it caused too much of a bugger - although that really isn't a solution..

I've configured the Server to run 50 Maximum Simultaneous Script Sessions, although this will on the far side, just slow the Server down, and then lead to a second "The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded" error.

So, how do I manage to bypass this problem, without disabling the PSoS script steps, and furthermore, avoid our Server being Exceeded?

Best regards.

• 9. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                          DavidJondreau

So, the CUSOnModify script runs and was calling the CompanyStatusChange script? Where does the OurContactMakePrimary script come into play?

Can you post the Log and PSOS not Responding scripts too?

I'd start any script that runs on the server (actually any script) with Allow User Abort [ Off ] and Set Error Capture [ On ].

• 10. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                            Mike_Mitchell

What's the triggering event? OnRecordLoad, OnObjectEnter, OnLayoutExit ... ?

The biggest thing I would do is figure out how often the script actually needs to fire.

And, more fundamentally, why is this being executed server-side? I don't see anything particularly burdensome in that script.

• 11. Re: The Host's Capacity Was Exceeded
                              wimdecorte

In addition to all of that; this serves as a good example of what I have been trying to say all along:

if you want to throw something at the server through PSoS then you need to make sure you handle the outcome:

- the server-side scripting engine may be down

- the server may be out of sessions

- …

so you need to trap for errors and handle those:

- do you loop and wait?

- do you turn around and execute locally?

- …