8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 7:42 AM by TSGal

Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment

FM_New_Dev

Product and version: FileMaker Pro14.0.4

OS and version:  Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Microsoft office 2013

Browser and version: N/A

Hardware: Intel Core I3, 8 GB RAM

Description: Drag and drop or 'Insert File' an MS office attachment like word, Excel or Outlook attachment (.msg) file. upon Inserting or dropping on container field, it hangs the system for 30-40 seconds. file size is small, less than 100 KB. Same size pdf or text document works okay.

How to replicate: make a global container field, drag and drop or insert an email attachment (.msg) or word / excel file  onto that field, it will take a while to insert this and hangs up the application during that time. In contrast, pdf or text document of same size doesnt have problem.

Workaround None

• 1. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
          TSGal

FM_New_Dev:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 under Windows 7.  I am able to use Insert File on a Container field and attach a 200+ KB Microsoft Excel file in less than a second.  The same goes for a 197 KB Microsoft Word .docx file.

I am unable to test Outlook files since I do not have Outlook installed.

For testing purposes, create a new database file with a Container field.  Add a record, put your cursor in the Container field, pull down the Insert menu and select "File...".  Select a .xlsx or .docx file and see if the issue occurs.  If not, then try removing the Container field from the original layout, and place a new instance of the Container field in the same position.  If this still doesn't work, create a new layout with an instance of the Container field.  Does this work?

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
            FM_New_Dev

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry i missed one crucial bit of information and i just tested it now to verify as well, my file is hosted on Filemaker Server 14.0.4. This issue persists when the file is hosted by FM Server.

I just tested the file on local Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 having the file not hosted on FM Server, it works pretty good and Insert File works in less than a second.

I will create a new database and host it onto the FM Server and repeat the same method and update you as well.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
              FM_New_Dev

TSGal, Just to confirm, I have tested the same on a new solution. where it works fine on local file but same behavior when the file is hosted on FM Server.

Takes around 30 - 40 seconds and the solution goes to a "Not Responding" mode, could this be a normal practice?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
                TSGal

FM_New_Dev:

Thank you for the additional information.

I am still unable to replicate the issue.  I moved the file to FileMaker Server 15.0.1 under Windows Server 2012 R2, FileMaker Server 14.0.4a under Windows Server 2012 R2, FileMaker Server 15.0.1 under Mac OS X 10.11.5, and FileMaker Server 14.0.4a under Mac OS X 10.11.5.  In all four cases, I am able to open the file from my Windows 7 machine and insert a Microsoft Excel file and a Microsoft Word file.

Create a new user account on your local machine.  Login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, connect to the hosted file and see if you can insert another large Excel or Word file.  If this works, then the issue is isolated to your user account.  If the issue still occurs, then the issue is on the server side.  If the latter, let me know the version of FileMaker Server being used, as well as the operating system of the server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
                  FM_New_Dev

Hi TSGal,

Sorry for the delayed responce.  I have tested it on different accounts but its still the same.

I doubt that this is on server side as well because when i try it on a file that is on local system it works fine.

Server Details are:

FM Server 14.0.4.412

Windows Server 2012 R2

Thanks

• 6. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
                    TSGal

FM_New_Dev:

Thank you for the additional information.

The only difference between my second setup is the version of FileMaker Server 14.0.4a compared to your FileMaker Server 14.0.4.  Since the issue doesn't occur locally, this seems to be related to FileMaker Server.

First, update FileMaker Server to 14.0.4a via Knowledge Base Article #15413:

Software Patch: FileMaker Server 14.0.4a | FileMaker

Once updated, close FileMaker Server and reboot the server.  Once rebooted, try accessing the new database file and insert an Excel or Word document.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
                      FM_New_Dev

TSGal, Sorry i am little confused here.

The documentation says that the update would result in upgrading to version 14.0.4.412, however as i mentioned before i am currently on the same version alrready.

What do you reckon?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Container Field on Inserting MS Office Attachment
                        TSGal

FM_New_Dev:

In the Knowledge Base Article, under the section "Install the new software", step 7 says:

7. Verify the version has been updated:

a. Open the FileMaker Server 14 Admin Console Start Page.

b. Under Software Update, the Current Installed Version should now show a build number later than 14.0.4.412.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.