6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 4:24 PM by keywords

Save as PDF creating corrupt files

keywords

In the last couple of days an issue has developed creating PDF files from my FM database. I routinely use this method to generate invoices, receipts and letters. I successfully ran this process on 4 July, but today the PDF file created is U/S. When I attempt to open the file with either Acrobat or Preview I get the same error:

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 10.55.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-12 at 11.04.14 PM.png

The filepath used in the script is correct—the dodgy PDF is in the correct location—but the file itself is unusable. I can still create a PDF via the Print dialog (Save as PDF), but that's purely a workaround until I can sort this one out. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone had a similar issue?

My system is a late 2013 iMac, OSX 10.11.5, FMAdvanced 15.

• 1. Re: Save as PDF creating corrupt files
          monkeybreadsoftware

We had a client with similar problem a few weeks ago.

Solution was to use DynaPDF with MBS Plugin to optimize PDF which also repairs errors in the PDF.

• 2. Re: Save as PDF creating corrupt files
            keywords

I don't use any plugins and would prefer not to. The issue has only just developed. The only relevant change since last successful run (4/7/16) has been upgrading to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on 6/7/16. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with this.

• 3. Re: Save as PDF creating corrupt files
              Markus Schneider

there are issue reports about this issue

- happens with classic theme

- could be a font-issue as well

Here, we change the theme from classic to something 'printable', after this, we could save fine pdfs. It happened when adding pdf's, 'normal' pdf's were fine IMHO

Might be the same with FileMaker 14.06 (changement of the pdf-engine, same as under V15)

Strange thing is, that it went fine until 'date'... therefore, I'm not quite sure if it's the same issue...

• 4. Re: Save as PDF creating corrupt files
                Stephen Huston

Changed Adobe files are extremely likely to be at issue, based on some of Acrobat's previous updates in years past. Can you roll back Acrobat and disable Adobe auto update?

• 5. Re: Save as PDF creating corrupt files
                  keywords

I'm going to try that if I have to. The only thing that makes me focus more on the generation of the pdf is that Preview can't open them either.

• 6. Re: Save as PDF creating corrupt files
                    keywords

Well, I'm really none the wiser, but today the problem has gone away. My first test was to open the file in FMA14—no problem. Then I opened it in FMA15 and expected a repeat of what was happening yesterday, but no—worked OK. Both of those tests were manual saves to the desktop, via the menu. Then I ran the full scripted routine on the two records that gave trouble yesterday and all is running normally. So I'm at a loss, but the issue has gone away.

Reminds me of the four engineers travelling together in a hire car when suddenly, for no apparent reason the engine died. Pulling off the road the chemical engineer, who was driving, said: "I think there's a problem with the fuel." The electrical engineer said: "I doubt it. More likely the alternator has failed." The mechanical engineer blamed the fuel pump. The computer engineer, however, said: "Well before we try anything else, let's all just get out, then get back in again and see if it starts."

Thanks Christian, Marcus and Stephen for your comments. I'll leave the discussion open for the moment in case it arises again.