7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 4:37 PM by philmodjunk

Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go

kreitz0101

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help, I am working with data collectors who use Filemaker Go on Ipod touches out in the field. I use Filemaker Go 14.0.4 to create the database on my PC.

We use radio buttons because we have a lot of Yes/No questions that would not really make sense to use any of the other control style features. I am curious if anyone has any tips to improve the responsiveness of the radio buttons. Even when using a stylist it is annoyingly difficult to select the appropriate answer.

Thanks!

Daniel

• 1. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
          rgordon

Can you post a screen shot of the iPod layout? Sensitivity is effected by the size of the button. The bigger the button the easier it is to select the button. What size font are you using? I find that a stylist does not work well on small buttons.

• 2. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
            davidhead

Personally, I tend to do a little more work to provide a more flexible user interface for touch devices.

I use buttons to provide toggle switches to set and reset the field values behind the scenes. Here is an example of interface and the script I used. I also set conditional formatting on the buttons to turn green for yes and red for no. Pretty quick and simple to set up for a whole lot of button sets for questions. And flexible to include other possible response options too.

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 9.44.57 AM.png

• 3. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
              kreitz0101

Thanks to both of you. I think I am going to just change the size of the radio buttons via the font size. I did not even think to try that so thanks so much for the help!!

Quick question for David. I use radio buttons and then I create another background variable with the numeric values for each question with the following calculation per background variable. Now if I make a mistake and have to change the calculation syntax it does not automatically change the value before the change was made. For instance, I had a background variable that gave every answer to a question a 999 or "unknown" when I fixed the syntax I had to manually go through and select the appropriate answer to get the numeric values in the background variable to change. With your syntax previously posted does this problem persist?

I have not used the script feature before and rely on the "Auto-Enter" - "Calculated Value" feature to produce numeric values per question.

case.JPG

• 4. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
                davidhead

First thing – it seems to me that your calculation is simply getting the numeric code value out of the trailing parentheses. So you could reasonably use this:

Let ([

field = AntiBrand2;

value = GetAsNumber ( RightWords ( field; 1 ) )

];

If ( value < 1; "999" ; value )

)

The Let syntax allows you to easily repurpose this for any input field. It also means you don't need to be exhaustive putting every possible value in there – just follow the syntax for new values.

So the next question is – when you say "then I create another background variable", are you really setting a variable or are you setting a field? I would presume the latter and that you are using an auto-entry calculation? If so, you can use the Evaluate function with a trigger field to get it to recalculate.

But to get the best answer I would need more detail about how you are doing it.

Cheers, David

• 5. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
                  kreitz0101

Hi David,

Thanks so much for spending time helping me.

You are correct, I am setting a field that generates a numeric value (via the auto-entry calculation) based on the selection of a value within the visible database. For analyses purposes I have created fields that match each radio button or drop down field with a numeric value that corresponds with the numeric value in the parenthesis. The numeric value in the parenthesis are just to remind us the proper numeric value per value option in the text field.

so the syntax below pulls a numeric value from the name of the value from a field into a new numeric field?

Let ([

field = AntiBrand2;

value = GetAsNumber ( RightWords ( field; 1 ) )

];

If ( value < 1; "999" ; value )

)

Thanks,

Daniel

• 6. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
                    davidhead

Hi Daniel

Hopefully you have tried this out now and see how it works.

"so the syntax below pulls a numeric value from the name of the value from a field into a new numeric field?"   Yes that is correct.

Cheers, David

• 7. Re: Radio Button Sensitivity in Filemaker Go
                      philmodjunk

A stored calculation field instead of a data field with an auto-entered calculation would automatically update each time you modify the calculation expression.

You can also force an auto-enter calculation to update after you modify the calculation by taking advantage of the above fact: (I have not tried this in 15 but see no reason why this would work differently)

After editing the auto-enter calc, change the field type to "calculation". The auto-enter calc expression becomes the calculated field's expression so no editing is needed.

Save changes and click OK to get out of Manage Database. Wait while the update recalcs all your records.

Return to manage database and change the field type back into an auto-entered calc. The calc expression is preserved through out so you just need to re-select your auto-enter options.