6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 9:01 PM by user27350

Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error

user27350

I am stuck with a very painful one:

I am using cwp php to access FM data from FMGo (iOS SDK 15) using 'insert from URL'.

On a very erratic basis, I either get a successful call or  a "Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error" response.

• Credentials have been checked over and over again : they are valid
      • The fmphp flag for the user is set
      • No actual correlation with server load/activity. This happens either when CPU is spinning or when it's flat as brain-dead. Same for RAM

I can see quite a bit of posts out there on this 'Communication Error: (22)' - sometimes with alternate HTTP code (401/403/502...) but none actually seem be resolved or  directed to any specific root cause. Performance ? Scripting error ? The overall stuff works from time to time wothout changing anything though...

Any idea anyone ? Thanks

Laurent

OS X 10.10.5 + FMS 13.0.10.1004

Plugins: 360Works FTPeek + Custom from 360Works ScriptMaster

• 1. Re: Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error
          bigtom

Generally a 500 type error is that a connection to the server is not being made or timed out.

• 2. Re: Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error
            wimdecorte

Do you see the connection being made in the WPE log on FMS?

• 3. Re: Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error
              user27350

I can see the incoming calls from FMGo over http on FMS in the wpe log indeed.

Having said that, if those calls did not go through, the error i would see on FMGo would be in the likes of 1629/1631 - which does sometimes happen but is expected when cellular connectivity goes out the window...

Here we are facing a different beast which  - to my limited understanding - seems to relate more to a communication error between FM WebModule/PHP on the one hand and WPE/FM DB on the other hand.

I have had to confirm via various techniques that it was not a authentication issue when passing my user credentials along the way, but i have ruled out this one definitely as the user/pw combination is correct indeed.

Therefore I am now leaning towards timeout between FM WebModule/PHP and WPE/FM DB. That would make sense if this was happening when CPU is up to the roof and RAM fully loaded but this is not systematically the case ; it does also happen for very light calls. It could also be that the call passed to WPE and DB takes too long to process - as it sometines has to do quite a bit  in terms of FM scripts - before response comes back to the WebModule/PHP.

Now I am not sure which logs to check - if any to confirm all the above....

• 4. Re: Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error
                Mike Duncan

As Wim suggests, I would check the WPE log, but I would also suspect the web server log, which might be separate from the WPE.

Could there be an error in the PHP that only gets run in a if/else branch, so that's why it only shows occasionally? If so, that might explain why it seems erratic. Check the httpd logs and see if you can see what the http request is, if it is GET or POST, and replicate the call from a browser to reproduce the error. At least, that's where I've seen this error before.

• 5. Re: Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error
                  user27350

Looks like we have a winner here:

http log consistently reports the following 4 entries each time the process fails:

[Fri Jul 15 09:12:02.799519 2016] [proxy_ajp:error] [pid 64562] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: AH01030: ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive header

[Fri Jul 15 09:12:02.799643 2016] [proxy_ajp:error] [pid 64562] [client 127.0.0.1:49308] AH00992: ajp_read_header: ajp_ilink_receive failed

[Fri Jul 15 09:12:02.799651 2016] [proxy_ajp:error] [pid 64562] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: [client 127.0.0.1:49308] AH00893: dialog to 127.0.0.1:16021 (127.0.0.1) failed

[Fri Jul 15 09:12:02.799811 2016] [core:error] [pid 64562] [client 127.0.0.1:49308] AH00082: an unknown filter was not added: includes

Digging around shows that  increasing the default ProxyTimeout setting in httpd.conf to more than the default 60 seconds could help. However, this not necessarily what we are after: the process goes much faster for each call - couple of seconds - when everything goes smooth. If Apache does not get an answer after 60 seconds , it probably never will and increasing the timeout is not going to help in real terms. Therefore the question is what is Apache waiting upon which is not responding ? The Web Publishing Engine ? FM db itself ?

• 6. Re: Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error
                    user27350

So, after much thinking, reading, testing, observing (...), the issue was with a simple timeout: wpe is taking long to respond to Apache/PH/WebModule because the script triggered in FMS is taking too long to perform. Eventually run it as PSoS and all is fine...