9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 10:40 AM by dburnham

Phoning Home

psuchad

I have been troubleshooting a problem where client machines are disconnected from FileMaker Server every 5-30 minutes. During the troubleshooting process we have discovered that FileMaker client on Windows occasionally connects to Akamai Technologies servers or Richard Carlton Consulting.

FileMaker 13 and 14 seem to connect to one of the two domains the first time FileMaker Pro or Advanced is lunched after OS reboot.

FileMaker 15 connects to Akamai every time Pro or Advanced is launched and closed.

Any idea why FileMaker is phoning home?

• 1. Re: Phoning Home
          coherentkris

i would check to see if you have any plug ins

• 2. Re: Phoning Home
            psuchad

The connection happens when launching the program, not necessarily a file. We have tested it on clean installs of FileMaker and clean installs on brand new, out of the box machines where no FileMaker files have ever been opened. Definitely not a plugin.

• 3. Re: Phoning Home
              monkeybreadsoftware

License check?

Update check?

Or simply a statistics for usage?

• 4. Re: Phoning Home
                amysink

LittleSnitch is good to find out going calls from software that might be abusing your privacy.

Little Snitch 3

• 5. Re: Phoning Home
                  TonyWhite

FM Starting Point from Richard Carlton Consulting (If I recall correctly) does a web viewer ping over port 80 to see if there is a more recent version of FM Starting Point.

Tony White
                  Tony White Designs, Inc.
                  http://www.twdesigns.com
                  http://FileMaker-Fanatics.com

• 6. Re: Phoning Home
                    richardcarlton

Hi Folks,

So on FM Starting Point... in a 3.x release we had it check version numbers... but this was a pain in the ass to run reliably.  It would ONLY check on the startup script... and never after that.

On current releases 4.6.x... it only pings our news server... if you are on the the news screen and manually PRESS the "Update News" button.

4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 don't bring RCC at all ever.

Keep in mind... that if you were to ping us...that would NOT cause a disconnect  from FMSP.

If you don't link the ping in 3.x... go into the startup script and remove it.   Its a Free and unlocked solution.     If you don't like the ping script...in 4.6... then don't press the "Update News" button.   LOL

Thanks,

RC

• 7. Re: Phoning Home
                      dburnham

Look in Manage External Data Sources to see what other data sources may be defined.   I think it is more likely that the connection is opened, not after a specified number of minutes but rather, when you go to a layout that uses a field that depends on that external data source.

Your relationship graph may also give you the answer, but if it's a big graph or there are several data sources involved, starting with Manage External Data Sources is a better way to begin finding the suspect.

• 8. Re: Phoning Home
                        wimdecorte

Chad Larson wrote:

The connection happens when launching the program, not necessarily a file. We have tested it on clean installs of FileMaker and clean installs on brand new, out of the box machines where no FileMaker files have ever been opened. Definitely not a plugin.

FMP itself definitely checks for new versions and that would explain the Akamai.  If you don't want that then use the "Assisted Installer" to configure it to not check for updates.

• 9. Re: Phoning Home
                          dburnham

As I recall, Akamai Technologies made an ODBC driver. Their web site doesn't indicate that today, so I could be mistaken.  But they do show GitHub which is something that some developers (more experienced than me) have been working with lately.

Maybe use the ODBC Administrator app to examine what drivers may be installed ?  Just a hunch.