4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 12:31 PM by twelvetens

Remote Authentication Issue

twelvetens

Hi,

I've got a FMServer v14.04 instance running. Authentication to this box has always worked fine, but today I hit an error when logging in with the same user account and password that I always use.

I logged in remotely to the site, and logged in from a install of Filemaker Pro (FMP14.0.4) on the local network using the same credentials, and it logged in fine. When I log in from outside the WAN using FMPA (v15.0.1) I get an auth error.

Looking at the logs in Filemaker Server, it would appear that these authentication attempts from outside the WAN are getting some kind of character mis-match by the time they get to the server - see screenshot below, where after 'using' I'd expect to see the account name I'm trying to authenticate with, and instead I'm seeing a range of weird characters instead...

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 16.15.22.png

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Remote Authentication Issue
          TSPigeon

twelvetens:

Thank you for your post!

I'm not seeing any other reports that compare to this. A couple things to start with:

-Does this issue occur when accessing the Server with FileMaker Pro 14 from the machine you tried FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced on?

-Does this issue occur from other computers outside the network with FileMaker Pro 14 or 15?

-Does FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced have this issue on the Server 14's local network?

-You might also verify you are on the latest FileMaker Server 14.0.4.414 (4b patch).

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Remote Authentication Issue
            twelvetens

TSPigeon:

-Does this issue occur when accessing the Server with FileMaker Pro 14 from the machine you tried FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced on?

YES

-Does this issue occur from other computers outside the network with FileMaker Pro 14 or 15?

I have a windows 10 VM which connects OK with FMPA14 and FMPA15

I also now notice that FMPA v14 running on OSX (same host where v15 is causing issues) is OK.

-Does FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced have this issue on the Server 14's local network?

No

-You might also verify you are on the latest FileMaker Server 14.0.4.414 (4b patch).

Server is on 14.0.4.412 - Is this likely to make a difference?

• 3. Re: Remote Authentication Issue
              TSPigeon

twelvetens:

So far it sounds like an issue with the installation of FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced, though it's hard to confirm. Can you clarify on the following, I think I'm getting two different answers on the same question.

You say FileMaker Pro 14 gives the same issue on the "problem computer".

YES

Then here you mention it works okay in 14 where 15 is failing.

I also now notice that FMPA v14 running on OSX (same host where v15 is causing issues) is OK.

If the problem only exists in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced, try the following steps:

-Uninstall FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced

-Open a Finder Window

-Click on the Go Menu and select Computer

-User > Shared > Delete the FileMaker Folder

-Click the Go Menu > Hold Option and Select Library...

-Application Support > Delete "FileMaker" folder

-Caches > Delete any "com.filemaker..." folders

-Caches > Delete the "FileMaker" folder

-Preferences >  Delete any "com.filemaker...plist" files

-Saved Application State > Delete any "com.filemaker..." folders

-Reinstall with a fresh download of the FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced installer

Also, I always recommend keeping FileMaker Server up to date, but I can't confirm whether your issue would be affected by the update.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Remote Authentication Issue
                twelvetens

Hi TSPigeon,

A re-install seems to have fixed it, thanks!

James.