3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 3:55 PM by RodrigoPerez_1

Cascading Portals

RodrigoPerez_1

I am attempting to create a project tracking database and have run into a design/setup issue that I've not been able to solve yet, so I thought I would seek some input.

To keep things simple, let's say that there are three tables:  Project, Task, Employee.  Each table has a primary key and a description field for its data.  The task table has a foreign key to tie it to a project and the employee table has a foreign key to tie it to a task as well as a foreign key to tie it to a project.  In the database there can be, of course, many projects and each project can have many tasks and each task can have many employees assigned to it.  It would look something like this:

Project Table

Project A

Project B

Project C

Task Table

Task I

Task II

Task III

Employee Table

Jane

Jim

John

So, let's say that Project A contains Task I and it's assigned to both Jane and Jim.  Then, Project B contains Task II assigned to Jim and Task III assigned to John.  Finally Project C is made up of all of the tasks, I - III, and each task is assigned all three individuals.

I have set up a drop down list to show and select the Projects and then on this layout I would like to have two portals.  The left portal would be all of the tasks assigned to the project and the right portal would contain all of the employees assigned to the task that is selected in the left portal.  The views would look something like these:

Project A

Task I                    Jane

Jim

Project B

Task II                    Jim

Project B

Task III                    John

Project C

Task I                    Jane

Jim

John

Project C

Task II                    Jane

Jim

John

Etc.

The task portal is fine and it simply works as expected, but I've tried many ways to get the Employee portal to work, but none have been successful.  It usually just remains blank.  I've searched for ways to do this, but haven't really come up with anything there either.  I think that I'm probably missing something very fundamental, because this seems like it should be easily doable, but am at a loss.  I would really appreciate any tips or pointers or lessons that might get me where I need to go with this database.

• 1. Re: Cascading Portals
          brucewilson

How about a list view, based on task and displaying the related project title, and just the one portal to employee?

• 2. Re: Cascading Portals
            keywords

Re: "In the database there can be, of course, many projects and each project can have many tasks and each task can have many employees assigned to it."—

Given the above, you will need join tables to connect up the bits. You do have this? You dropdown lists will, of course, come from the Task, Employee and Project tables, but the linking key fields need to be entered into the join table records. If you have that properly set up you will be able to have a Project table with relevant portal(s) showing the links in the join table(s), and the same for Employees and Tasks.

• 3. Re: Cascading Portals
              RodrigoPerez_1

Thanks for the pointers for some new things to try!

I did come across join tables last night, but didn't have time to finish reading up on them.  I will definitely explore this option further.

I will do some more experimenting and let you know how far I get.