7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 2:36 AM by philmodjunk

How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?

jacksrmd

I have SSL encryption activated on the server.  Since my server backups are encrypted.  What is the procedure to open a backup version Unencrypted?

• 1. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
          ch0c0halic

SSL encryption is for transmitted data. Encryption at Rest (EAR) is for file on disk.

Your backups should be openable if you used SSL only.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
            jacksrmd

Thank you ch0c0halic

I have SSL and EAR implemented.

I've copied one of the backup versions to my desktop and I've entered the EAR password and the FM Solution Password;  I open the system and all of my fields have ? 

• 3. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
              ch0c0halic

You would not be able to open this file, so no layouts or fields, if you couldn't get pass the EAR encryption.

Most likely they are related fields and the support file(s) they are in is not open.

• 4. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
                jacksrmd

I've put in the passwords (EAR and FMP Admin. Solution Password) + I'm able to access Manage Database, Layouts, etc.

The only issue currently is all field values are ?

• 5. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
                  wimdecorte

Make sure to never open a backup directly from its backup location, always make a copy of it first before opening it.

The "?" in all fields typically indicates some sort of index corruption.  Is that on all fields on all records on all tables?

As ch0c0halic indicated, this has nothing to do with EAR since you wouldn't be able to open the file if you didn't know the EAR passphrase.

What's the reason for going to your backup?  Is something wrong with your live files?

Make sure to review your deployment against all best practices so that there is nothing that could induce that kind of corruption.

• 6. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
                    jacksrmd

Thank you wimdecorte

-  All of the fields have ?

-  I made a copy of the backup

-  I was looking at a backup version to see the previous values within a specific record; a user stated that the live version was missing data.  I went to the previous day backup to see if it had it.  Just for viewing/confirmation.

• 7. Re: How do I open my Encrypted Backup Version?
                      philmodjunk

Sounds like the file may be damaged. Try recovering the back up file. Also try using advanced recovery options to just rebuild the indexes.

You  may need to do this to your hosted copy by by closing the file, downloading it, recovering and uploading the recovered copy.

Please note the following:

1. Best practice is to upload a backup copy that is undamaged, and not recovered. This may require importing data from a recovered file into a clone of the undamaged back up.

2. Next best is to upload a copy that was only re-indexed.

3. Last resort is to upload a file that has undergone a full recover process