4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 10:46 AM by russk68

Multiple portals in a layout

russk68

Hi All,

I am trying to put multiple portals in a layout. The issue that I am having is when I create a portal record in 1 portal, it creates a portal row in the other portals as well.

Example:

I have a layout with a field for a motel name. I then want a portal for each room where I can add guests names without affecting the other portal records.

Actual:

I created a table named "Distro"(Hotel) and tables "Distro Circuit Portal 1" and "Distro Circuit Portal 2"(Guests).

Hope this makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FM relationship.jpg

• 1. Re: Multiple portals in a layout
          planteg

Hi russk68 ,

what you show in your screen shots are TOs, that is Table Occurrences. A table Occurrence is not a table containing data, just a representation (alias) to a table made of fields and containing data.

For example TO Distro and TO Distro 2 both represents the same table, that is Distro.  Regarding TOs Distro Circuit Portal 1 and TO Distro Circuit Portal 2, my guess is that they are 'pointing' to the same table, then they will display the same data.

What I don't get is how you can add two Portals on the same Layout (based on Distro Circuit Portal 1 and Distro Circuit Portal 2 I guess), since:

• a Layout is based on a single TO
          • there is only one TO related to either Distro and Distro 2

One thing is for sure, if you put two Portals on a Layout based on the same table, you will get the same data displayed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple portals in a layout
            russk68

Hi there,

Thank you for replying!

I do understand the difference between a Table and a TO. The "Distro Circuit Portal" 1 & 2 are pointing to 2 separate tables and are not duplicates. I'm a novice to FMP but I'm thinking that a layout can have 2 or more portals with no relation to each other.

I appreciate your input!

• 3. Re: Multiple portals in a layout
              planteg

True,

the two portals don't have to be related together, but both of them have to be related to the TO on which the Layout is based. I don't get, based on your screen shot, how you can put the two portals Distro Circuit Portal 1 and 2 on the same Layout since they are related to two different TOs. And strangely they seem to be related to two tables with identical structure.

I think your structure is wrong. In my opinion, you need at least three tables:

• one for Motel names
              • one for Room numbers
              • and a join table between Motel and Room

And you would need a fourth table for Guests, related to the join table. Does that makes sense ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multiple portals in a layout
                russk68

Yeah,

I'm pretty sure my structure is wrong. I'll check this out tonight and let this sink into my head.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you very much!