4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 1:29 PM by gary.belleville@gov.bc.ca

FileMaker Pro 15 window doesn't maximize on file open

gary.belleville@gov.bc.ca

We are in the middle of an upgrade from FileMaker version 11 to 15. All of my FileMaker 11 applications open in a maximized window, but none of them do in version 15.

For instance, this is what the screen looks like when I open one of our V11 files:

FileMakerProV11.png

But this is what it looks like when I open the V15 file:

FileMakerProV15.png

Unfortunately, I have to maximize the V15 window each and every time I open the file. Why is that? What do I need to do to get the window to open in a maximized state?

Thanks,

Gary B.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 window doesn't maximize on file open
          wimdecorte

add a script to the OnFirstWidowOpen event in the File > Options

let the script do a maximize on the window.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 window doesn't maximize on file open

Thanks, wimdecorte.

Is this a known difference between version 11 and 15? I would hope that the software would behave the exact same way when opening files.

I have 14 applications that I am upgrading and I'd rather not have to modify all 14 applications using the method you describe. But if this is the best practice then I guess we'll have to bite the bullet (thankfully we don't have 140 applications).

Thanks,

Gary

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 window doesn't maximize on file open
              wimdecorte

I don't think this is a functional difference between 11 and 15.  It could be that just remembers from when the file was last opened non-hosted, which would have been right after your conversion from fp7 to fmp12.

It is a good idea though to always have an OnFirstWindowOpen script so that you can take full control over what happens.  Since scripts can be pasted, it's a minor undertaking.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 window doesn't maximize on file open

Thanks again.

I believe it is a functional difference between 11 and 15. All of my V11 applications (in the production environment) always open up in a maximized window... it appears to be the default behaviour. If I "restore down" a window before closing an application, that application still opens in a maximized window when I re-open it.

In addition, all of the converted V15 applications (in the test environment) never open up maximized -- ever. I can open and close them repeatedly and even if I do maximize the window before closing, the window isn't maximized the next time I re-open the application.

You are correct, it's a relatively minor undertaking to write a one-line OnFirstWindowOpen script (or modify an existing one) and then unit test it. It's probably only 10 minutes per application, but 14x10 is roughly two hours of extra effort that shouldn't be required.