8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 1:50 AM by Magnus Fransson

good spacing when combining text and variables

Jax

I've had only mediocre results when combining text fields and variables. Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 16.34.18.png

The results are ok but no great. The left shift of the fields still leaves too much space for example between the name and "born".

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 16.35.49 copy.png

Next I tried text and <<variable>> combinations. But I cannot find a way to combine bold and normal font in a single formula. Is that possible or do I have to keep the bold name as a separate field?

<<first last name>>, born on <<bday EN in words>> in <<birthplace>>

• 1. Re: good spacing when combining space and variables
          dtcgnet

When you use a string of merge fields, such as "<<First Last Name>>", born on <<bday EN in words>>" and so on, it's just a string of text. You can string them all together however you'd like, and then just use the formatting tools to bold, or underline, or whatever you'd like. It looks like the way you have it ought to work just fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: good spacing when combining space and variables
            siplus

you have 2 options:

1) select single elements in the merge string and format them manually, or

2) create cMergexxx fields as calculations, which are calcs based upon TextStyleAdd() and merge those.

• 3. Re: good spacing when combining text and variables
              Jax

Hi dtcgnet,

You are right and my mistake. One can actually format part of a string in bold, italics,.. but you have to include the <<brackets>> otherwise it resets to normal which was my newbie mistake.

This doesn't work since brackets are not bold and will reset to normal font.

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 09.11.33.png

This will correctly display only the name in bold.

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 09.12.05.png

• 4. Re: good spacing when combining text and variables
                Magnus Fransson

Hi Jax,

To further elaborate that, only the leftmost bracket (<) needs to be "formatted". Something I have found to be very useful when I have to fit a long field name in to a small area. (I simply make every thing between the two outer brackets 1pt high.)

With best regards Magnus Fransson.

• 5. Re: good spacing when combining text and variables
                  Jax

Hi Fran,

A neat trick. I realized that if you want to do as Fran, make sure it's only the 1st bracket. The format of the 2nd left bracket will extend to the text on its right at least on my system.

As an aside, I had a variable name with a round bracket (grade EN). FileMaker could not deal with this at all. text <<(grade EN)>> failed. It only read the contents after I removed the round brackets from the variable name.

All the best

• 6. Re: good spacing when combining text and variables
                    greatgrey

Another thing is to have a record with either test or real data active, then in layout under View/show/sample data to make sizing your text box easier and see what your formatting changes are doing. You may want to turn it off when entering <<fields>>  and on to see how the data fits.

Another thing is use test data that has the shortest data length in all fields and the longest data length in all fields to see if you have unexpected line wrapping or clipping.

edit see if you have unexpected

• 7. Re: good spacing when combining text and variables
                      Jax

Good advice. Thanks. I had field sizing problems because of very different content. Those are hard to track since everybody starts tuning layout for a single database entry. It works much better if you can adjust the content with test data as the omnipresent greatgrey pointed out.

• 8. Re: good spacing when combining text and variables
                        Magnus Fransson

Hi Jax,

Just an example of how it might look.

Skärmavbild 2016-07-21 kl. 10.46.45.png

With best regards Magnus Fransson.