AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trial user with a question about relationships

Question asked by mcldfa on Jul 19, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 19, 2016 by siplus

My wife and I are (starving) artists and we have a Filemaker Trial underway to see if this DB application will work for us in managing our artwork  and art show data.  At this point, I have a really basic question that will help me to understand if what we want to do is feasible.

Assume that we have two tables: 1 - a spreadsheet of all of the current work that is available for sale, 2 - a spreadsheet that is all of the data pertaining to the art shows that we do (Show Name City, State, Year. Items Sold, etc.)

In the artwork table, fields would include title, dimensions, edition, etc. (something like the attached based on the simple Inventory solution).  We would also want it to indicate what "happened" (status) for each edition for a given piece.  (e.g. sold, still available, in a gallery, etc.)

If a piece is sold, we would want to complete a field in the artwork table that would have the show name (selected from the show table) where the piece was sold and would also want to have the item that was sold filled in on the show table as part of a list of sales for that particular show.

My question:  is it possible to index two tables like this where the items being linked are not ID numbers or customer names?  I'm happy to dig in and figure out how to implement this if it is possible but with a short trial, I don't want to spend a lot of time only to find out that it can't be done.  (This is my first foray into databases so I don't really know much at all!) Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks, Bill

Outcomes