8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 8:21 AM by planteg

FileMaker 15 server startup error

vrmerlin

I've just installed FileMaker Server 15 on Windows 10, and it's not starting properly. The log files suggest it's getting through the startup sequence, but for some reason the admin console doesn't want to start. When I try to connect to it with a web browser, the server generates this error in the log file:

Admin Server process has terminated abnormally.

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong? There is so little information, I'm not sure where to start.

(btw, FileMaker Pro 15 is running just fine on the same computer)

John

• 1. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
          Vaughan

Windows 10 is not supported for FMS 14 or 15.

FileMaker Server 14 Technical Specifications | FileMaker

• 2. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
            planteg

Hi John,

as Vaughanmentioned, Windows 10 is not supported for FMS. But that don't mean it won't work. Anybody will tell you it's a bad idea to install FMS on Windows 7 or 10 Pro for a production server. But if your goal is to learn, that is Ok.

Personally I have installed FMS 15 on Windows 7 Pro to learn.

You may have a look here:

About your issue, did you have a look at Windows Logs for clues ?

• 3. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
              wimdecorte

More often than not, failures in the FMS startup come in two categories:

- FMP is already running and has port 5003 occupied.  That typically does not prevent the FMS service to start but the files won't open to be hosted

- the machine does not meet the minimum required specs

• 4. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
                vrmerlin

Thanks for the responses.

This is my development box; I'm evaluating FileMaker for deployment in our organization (although our company has a site license). If it works for us, we'll deploy the server process on a production system.

I'm surprised that Win 10 is still not supported; it's been out for about a year now.

I looked at the Windows logs, but saw nothing suspicious (just the same errors I saw in the FileMaker server logs).

The failure occurs whether I am running FMP or not. My system is a brand-new, high-end workstation, should it should have no problem meeting the minimum specs.

I looked at the posting that was offered (thank you), but that was an install process failure for FM14, which isn't what I'm experiencing (the installation process appears to work fine, it just doesn't run right).

• 5. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
                  wimdecorte

vrmerlin wrote:

I'm surprised that Win 10 is still not supported; it's been out for about a year now.

It's not a matter of 'not yet' supported so don't get your hopes up.  Win10 is not a server platform.  Win7 is also not supported, only true server platforms.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
                    vrmerlin

That doesn't seem like a very good product strategy, since, if I understand correctly, the FM server is the only way to get a web interface to FM (which is what we want to do). As a developer, I really need the ability to experiment and learn without setting up a full production server. There is a very long list of "servers" that I have no problem running on Win7 or Win10 (IIS, Atlassian tools, etc). I'm not sure why FMS requires a "true server platform". But in any case, it is what it is. Thanks for the reply.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
                      wimdecorte

vrmerlin wrote:

That doesn't seem like a very good product strategy, since, if I understand correctly, the FM server is the only way to get a web interface to FM (which is what we want to do). As a developer, I really need the ability to experiment and learn without setting up a full production server.

As was mentioned in this thread, you *can* set up FMS on Win7 or Win10.  But it may not work depending on the full specs of the machine and other things you have going on.

For production it is not supported.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 15 server startup error
                        planteg

Something just came up to my mind, don't know if that can help.

My FMS 15 is not set to start automatically, I don't need it all the time. One day I could not start it, I got the same error as yours. I figured out the cause was that FMP was already running when I tried to start the server. FMP can also host files and my guess is that it took control of the needed ports.

I stopped FMP and was able to start the server .