7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 9:19 AM by aejohnson.edit

Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method

aejohnson.edit

Hi, just getting started using FileMaker Pro 13.0v9 to keep track of VFX shots on a feature film.

Initially, I imported records from a tab-delimited .txt file exported from Avid Media Composer for all the VFX shots with all my metadata, which resulted in a database with one record for every version of a shot. However, now I'm thinking it would be easier to track everything by having one record for each shot, and then displaying each version of that shot in a portal—which I've just learned existed.

I'm here because I don't know how to implement this at all, or if this is even an efficient method. From what I've learned about portals thus far, it seems like a sound solution though.

An important detail that may help those seeking to help me is that each shot's filename is such:

[...]

film_sc023_sh030_v001

film_sc023_sh030_v002

film_sc023_sh040_v001

film_sc023_sh040_v002

film_sc023_sh040_v003

film_sc074_sh010_v001

[...]

and so on. The first entry there is a four-digit code that represents the name of this movie. First number field denotes the scene, second denotes the VFX shot, third denotes the VFX version.

So, it would be great if—by using the database I already have imported (of every single version of every shot)—I create a layout that shows one record for each shot, its general information, and then have the versions listed and their accompanying notes within a portal on that record.

• 1. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
          keywords

It seems to me you are on the right track, but just need to modify things a little. My suggestion is this:

1.     Leave the data you already have as it is, in its own VERSION table.

2.     If necessary, create a new field that stores a reference just to the shot to which the version record belongs. This means, of course, that you will have values multiple times in this table—for example, each of

film_sc023_sh040_v001

film_sc023_sh040_v002

film_sc023_sh040_v003

… will presumable hold the value sh040.

3.     Create a second table that stores just the SHOT data, not the version data. This table will have a similar field to the one described above, holding the film to which the shot belongs. For example, each record you list will hold the value sc023.

4.     Create a third table that holds just the FILM data.

5.     Create the following relationships—

Film = Shot (matching filmTable::filmID = shotTable::filmID)

Shot = Version (matching shotTable::shotID = versionTable::shotID)

6.     If necessary, at this stage you may wish to shift some of the data in the Version table into one or other of the other tables and reference it from there.

This method enables you to store data that pertains to each film once only in the FILM table; data that pertains to each shot once only in the SHOT table, matching it to the film it belongs to; and data that pertains to each version once only in the VERSION table, matching it to the shot it belongs to.

Once set up you will be able to show all versions of a shot in a portal on a shot layout, etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
            MartinBishop

Would love to see a demo of this... Interesting concept for a noobie

• 3. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
              aejohnson.edit

Thanks a lot for the response. I'll try this tomorrow when I'm able.

I also should've been clearer: the FILM identifier never changes as it's just for this one project (purely used by my VFX vendor, but for me it's always the same). So instead of FILM, SHOT, and VERSION, I should really be using SCENE, SHOT, and VERSION—correct?

Scene = Shot (matching sceneTable::filmID = shotTable::filmID)
              Shot = Version (matching shotTable::shotID = versionTable::shotID)

Luckily, I had already created a field I think you're describing in your step 2 which strips off the VERSION suffix from the filename so I'm just left with a SCENE_SHOT entry. (I did this so I could automatically link each shot with a still image I had exported from Avid with matching filenames, and match every version of a shot to the same still image.) I assume this auto-enter field I created will work for that step? I could repurpose it to provide me with a field that shows only SCENE too.

For step 3, I'm so new to FileMaker that I can't even wrap my head around this even though it must be so simple. I guess what I'm confused about is if I have, say, 63 total VERSION records in my VERSION table, am I creating 63 new records in this new SHOT table? Or just as many records as there are shots?

Big thanks for all the help. Just need to have that moment where it all clicks to me.

• 4. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
                philmodjunk

You might also look into using a summary report for this with sub summary layout parts.

The sub summary part can serve as a "sub head" to list the shot info and the body can list the individual versions.

You can research this layout part in FileMaker help to learn more.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
                  aejohnson.edit

Thank you too. I'll definitely check that out as well.

• 6. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
                    keywords

Taking up Martin's invitation and noting your expression of uncertainty, here is a quick Demo file that illustrates the technique I described.

I note your comment that you are only woking on one film, so everything relates to that, but thinking ahead to when you are famous … I've created a film table anyhow, as it's logical and it makes the whole solution more easily extensible.

• 7. Re: Tracking multiple versions of each record via a portal or other method
                      aejohnson.edit

Wow this is great. I really appreciate it. Never thought I'd see Barton Fink exist as a FileMaker database (you missed the shot with the CGI mosquito though!).