1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 9:16 AM by eneal24

Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15

eneal24

Hi

Recently upgraded to FM 15 for our non-profit. Was able to work on the DB for a day or so. Now when I try to open the DB the program opens and displays the menu bar, there is a grey screen for the main display area and I get a stuck hourglass that has to be forced to exit.

Have tried:

Uninstalling reinstalling the program, opening on second computer, make a second file via the recovery option. Are there any other options? I have a back up from the day before but about 10 hours of work was done subsequently.

If I have to start over is there a better backup strategy to use for automatic backup?

Much thanks!

• 1. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
          Markus Schneider

How long did You wait until You forced-quit?

- it takes about 45 (+/-) seconds if there is an issue with a data-source that can't be found

- it may take longer, if there is a start-layout with a lot of records

If You recover a copy of Your file - what's in the recover-log? Does the recovered copy work?

• 2. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
            eneal24

Markus - thanks,

I let it try to open for 10 minutes from the main file and the recover file. The recover log came back with:

File blocks: scanned and rebuilt 668 block(s), dropped 0 invalid data block(s)

2016-07-23 19:01:59.953 -0700 XI Class Database .fmp12 0 Schema: scanned fields and tables; no problems found

• 3. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
              Markus Schneider

Are there any startup-scripts, scripttriggers?

What version of FileMaker was the old version?

• 4. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                alquimby

Have you tried changing the layout theme?

• 5. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                  eneal24

Th old version was 13, not sure about the startup script triggers it was modified from the invoice starter solution.

It won't be the end of the world if I can't get this back because there is a stored copy that works minus the 10 hours of work done. I can redo that.

I am more concerned now about the backup strategies re: best practices to minimize loss in the future if this recurs.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                    philmodjunk

When doing heavy development on a local copy, I sometimes use a script with Install On Timer script to save a copy at regular intervals. I use modified text from the current timestamp (I edit out characters that can't be part of a file name) To give each saved copy a unique file name.

It saves me from forgetting to make periodic back ups, but sometimes interrupts my work with the debugger when the timer controlled script pops up in the middle of what I'm tracking in the debugger. This is only a minor annoyance though.

• 7. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                      coherentkris

Mitigation strategy:

Develop on FileMaker Server and ensure a thoughtful backup scheme is implemented.

Save a clone after each development iteration.

Periodically run recover on the files to check for signs of corruption.

Never let a virus scan tool or backup tool touch a hosted file.

Analyse the system for weaknesses and develop mitigations for other scenarios i.e what happens when power to the server is lost? etc...

• 8. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                        CarlSchwarz

Do you have a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced?  Try starting the application with the debugger turned on.

OR do a recovery with the "Bypass startup script and layout" option turned on.

That way you will know if there is a problem with a startup script that is causing it to hang.

• 9. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                          Markus Schneider

The 'Advanced' Version would be helpfull as Carl mentioned (also the tipp for bypassing the startup script!)

Beside of this, V15 replaced the pdf engine what caused some problems when crating pdf - we have not had issues with layouts concerning fonts, though. We realized that a startup-script was working differnt, taking way too much time - this could be checked using the Advanced version.

Did You change something during those 10 hrs?

Create a new FileMaker file and add a file reference and a relation to Your file. Does this work?

Are You using the file locally or via FMServer - where is the file physically: On Your own Harddisk, on a fileserver, etc?

• 10. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                            gdurniak

Unfortunately, many of us work on stand alone files, off server

And "Save as Clone" is a bad idea. Filemaker will drop any parts of the file it does not like. I have seen this happen. Periodically Save the entire file

Running Recover also does not help,  since it found no "Problems" ( which may be correct )

Does the file open in FM 13 ?

Try opening the file with your Network disconnected

Try opening on a different OS, e.g. Mac vs Windows

Do you remember the last thing you added, or modified ?

Contact Tech Support !

The whole idea of "Recover" is to get your file open, even if parts are dropped, so you can retrieve your data.  Perhaps "Recover" needs an update

greg

> Develop on FileMaker Server and ensure a thoughtful backup scheme is implemented.

Save a clone after each development iteration.

Periodically run recover on the files to check for signs of corruption

• 11. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                              wimdecorte

gdurniak wrote:

Unfortunately, many of us work on stand alone files, off server

But there's no reason do that.  For $99 you get FMS as part of the FileMaker Developer Subscription and all these problems go away...

• 12. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                                Markus Schneider

Server needs a network - if one is working 'in the wild', no network connection (or sloow)... There are circumstances where a local version of a db makes sense

(I got several FM Server here in my office - whenever possible, I'm working with server. But often, I spend time on developing when on train, no net available beside the one that connects to the car only)

• 13. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                                  wimdecorte

Easy enough to run FMS on your own machine when you are in the wild.  I use a bare-bones VMware instance for this so that it does not clutter up my own OS with FMS.

But I would install FMS on my own machine if I didn't / couldn't use a VM FMS.

• 14. Re: Any hope for a corrupted file? FM 15
                                    greatgrey

This may not be your issue but.

One way to try and recover any data you entered would be to make a clone of your working file and import the data from file that hanging.

1 2 Previous Next