1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 8:10 PM by PeterDoern

Found Set

kaotishe

I am looking for an easy way to create a found set of clients based on upcoming photoshoots. I believe the easiest way to do this will be to have a field for Shoot Booked that is either a yes/no field or a check box that the found set can key on. However I do not want to have to rely on a person remembering to set that field, i would like it to auto enter when a date for the photoshoot is entered into the table. How would I make that work. Or is there a simpler option to create the found set I need?

• 1. Re: Found Set
          PeterDoern

In Find Mode, enter >=// into the Shoot Date field to find records whose Shoot date is greater than or equal to the current date.

EDIT: Clarified that the find is on the date field, not the proposed Shoot Booked field (which is unnecessary for this operation).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Found Set
            FilmUser

Do you have another date field that is entered when the shoot is completed? If so, the Shoot Booked field can be a calculation (text result), using Cases looking at the Booked and Completed date fields. The calculation would return a yes only when Booked is not empty, but Completed is empty, and a "No" by default.

A search for "Yes" in the Shoot Booked field will find current Bookings, and also Bookings whose date may have passed, but that were not completed, and not re-booked, for some reason.

• 3. Re: Found Set
              kaotishe

Peter,

This is an easy way to find the set I need, thanks. A follow up to this is - I then need to export part of the data for a different person to mail out information packages to these clients. Ideally it would only be for shoots 45-90 days out and would exclude anything once it was marked as information packet sent. I do already have this yes/no field. I am getting busy enough that I am starting to outsource some of my work. I want to develop the database to the point that this sort of thing can be done as an on open script or something similar. Where should I look to find out how to build this?

• 4. Re: Found Set
                PeterDoern
                Ideally it would only be for shoots 45-90 days out and would exclude anything once it was marked as information packet sent. I do already have this yes/no field.

As FilmUser suggests above, you would form a Find Request combining my criteria in the Shoot Date field and No in the Information Packet Sent field.

I am getting busy enough that I am starting to outsource some of my work. I want to develop the database to the point that this sort of thing can be done as an on open script or something similar. Where should I look to find out how to build this?

That's great that you are getting busy enough to outsource your work. In terms of building a database to accommodate this, I guess you mean that you want others to be able to run this script, is that right?

You can create a script that will store these find requests for you and then assign that script to a button.

If multiple people are going to be accessing your database from different locations then we are talking about building a hosted multi-user database which is more involved than I can get into in this space. I recommend that you read the FileMaker Training Series Basics if you haven't already; that will give you a good foundation for building what you're looking for.

• 5. Re: Found Set
                  kaotishe

Peter,

No, there are not going be other users on the database. In the past I have just been able to go into the database and pull the information i need when i need it. Now I am needing to have another person do some of the front end work, and Mark lives a 90 miles away. Ideally I want a script that I can use to find, pull, and email him the information. Something I can run once a week maybe or come up with some type of regular schedule. The find set above worked great and I typed everything across that he needed for this first go. but I know there has to be some way to automate this process and make it quicker simpler and immune to typos.

• 6. Re: Found Set
                    PeterDoern

Ah, in that case then you can build a script that will store your find requests, gather the information from the found set that you want to send to Mark, and then send him an e-mail.

Something like this:

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Perform Find [ Restore ]

If [ Get ( FoundCount ) > 0 ]

Set Variable [ $to ; Value: "mark@example.com" ]

Set Variable [ $message ; Value: "Hi Mark,¶" & "Here's a list of shoots:¶¶" ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $message ; Value: List ( $message ;   Shoot Date & " " & Client Name & " " & Client Phone ) ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ; Exit after last ]

End Loop

Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; To: $to ; Subject: "Upcoming Photo Shoots" ; Message: $message ]

End If

After you've performed your Find manually you'll see that the Find Records [Restore] script step will already have your find criteria in there.

As you loop through the records you gather appropriate data into a variable. At the end of the loop you use Send Mail with that variable as the body.

Last step is to assign this script to a button on one of your layouts.

I hope this helps.

Peter

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Found Set
                      keywords

This sounds to me like a case for a join table. I assume you have many clients and many photoshoots—therefore a many-to-many relationship. If you had a join table to manage bookings you would have a ready means to isolate your found set—all the clients who are listed in the specific booking record.

• 8. Re: Found Set
                        PeterDoern

I'm not sure there'd necessarily be a join table between bookings and clients unless multiple clients appear on a single booking, but I do agree that the table we're talking about here will eventually need to become the Booking table with a separate Client table holding client info.

• 9. Re: Found Set
                          kaotishe

On the found set, how do I make it look for both no and blank entries? On the info packet sent field.

• 10. Re: Found Set
                            PeterDoern

you can search for empty values with    =

• 11. Re: Found Set
                              PeterDoern

Oh, I see... you want to find records with:

Shoot Date >= today AND

(Info Packet = No OR

Info Packet is empty )

There are a couple of ways to do this but probably the easiest would be to replace the Find Records step in your script with this:

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ Shoot Date ; // ]

Set Field [ Info Packet ; No ]

New Record/Request

Set Field [ Shoot Date ; // ]

Set Field [ Info Packet ; = ]

Perform Find []

• 12. Re: Found Set
                                kaotishe

Peter,

I am not very good with the script writer. No matter what I do I end up with at the least [Pause:On] in the Enter Find Mode. how do I get it to be [ ]?

• 13. Re: Found Set
                                  PeterDoern

When you hover over the script step you'll see a little gear appear to the right. Click on that and it will give you options for the script step. In this case, uncheck Pause.

• 14. Re: Found Set
                                    kaotishe

It only gives me the Specify check box which just loads more stuff inside the [ ] I can turn the pause on or off but in both cases this scrips now stops with zero results. I am not sure what I have done wrong on this.

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 11.23.32 AM.png

1 2 Previous Next