8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 1:39 PM by TSGal

Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script

markconrad

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1.119

OS and version: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Browser and version: N/A

Hardware: lots

Description: We defined a custom menu set when using FM14. When we open the file in FM15 any menu items that use the Perform Script action are greyed out.

How to replicate: Do the above

Workaround: I found that unchecking the option "Based on existing commend" will fix the problem in FM15, but then when the file is opened in FM 14 the same menu items are greyed out. Since our production system is currently using FM14 I am not able to use this workaround.

• 1. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
          TSGal

markconrad:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I did:

1. In FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.6, I created a database with two Text fields: F1 and F2

2. I placed F1 on the Table layout.

3. I created a new layout (Layout #2) and placed F2 on that layout.

4. I created a script "Go to Layout" with the script step:

Go to Layout [ "Table" ]

5. I created a Custom Menu "New Menu Set" that included File, Edit, View, Insert, Format and Records menus.

6. I modified the Records menu and changed "Show All Records", unchecked the option "Based on existing command", changed the Item name to "Stuff", and had it perform the script "Go to Layout".

7. Back in Browse, I switched to the Custom Menu "New Menu Set", pulled down the Records menu and selected "Stuff", and I switched to the Table layout (as expected).

8. I closed the file and quit FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.6.

9. I opened the file in FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1.

10. I switched to Layout #2.

11. I switched to the Custom Menu "New Menu Set".

12. I pulled down the Records menu, selected "Stuff", and I switched to the Table layout.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
            markconrad

Hi TSGal,

Is this Abby? If so, we met at DevCon last week and talked about our Debug

Dumps that you are now receiving.

In step 6 you are using the work around. Instead, leave the "Based on

existing command" checked. Now continue your steps. In step 12 you will

find that the menu item "Stuff" is greyed out and unselectable.

If you have any questions feel free to call my direct line 317-218-7931.

Thanks -- Mark

Thanks -- Mark

• 3. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
              TSGal

markconrad:

This is not Abby.

In FileMaker Pro 14.0.6, I made the change you requested, checking the option "Based on existing command" and selecting the command "Delete Record...".  I went to Browse, activated the Custom Menu "New Menu Set", pulled down the Records menu and selected "Stuff".  This switched as expected to the the Table layout.

I then launched FileMaker Pro 15.0.1, switched to Layout #2, activated the Custom Menu "New Menu Set", pulled down the Records menu and selected "Stuff".  Again, I switched to the Table layout.

If you want, feel free to send in a copy of your database file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
                TSGal

markconrad:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Your Custom Menu is definitely minimal, and I am able to replicate your issue.  Besides unchecking the option "Based on existing command", if you add the FileMaker Pro menu to the Custom Menu, the issue no longer occurs.

I have sent your file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
                  markconrad

Hi TSGal,

Glad you could replicate our issue. I also want you to confirm that the

workaround (unchecking the option "Based on existing commend") causes the

menu item to be disabled in FM14.

Ideally the behavior would be the same in the two FM versions.

Thanks -- Mark

• 6. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
                    TSGal

markconrad:

Unchecking the option "Based on existing command" does NOT disable the "Switch Layouts" menu item in FileMaker Pro 14.0.6.  It appears regardless of that setting.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
                      markconrad

Hi TSGal,

Our menu items that are not "Based on existing commands" only get disabled in FM14 when opened with an account with a lower level of access. We have a "user" privilege set that has menus limited to edit only. The menu items are enabled when opened with full access.

Thanks, Mark

• 8. Re: Menu Set Items Greyed out in FM15 when They Perform a Script
                        TSGal

markconrad:

Our Testing department has verified the issue.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.