11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 4:27 PM by johnyx2

Live ESS from Filemaker Client?

johnyx2

Is it possible to establish a live ESS connection with a MySql database, from a client computer while the Filemaker database is hosted on a Filemaker Server?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
          CarstenLevin

Yes indeed, and it is probably OK if this client is the only one going to use ESS, but it is not very practical if more than this one user need to access the foreign MySQL tables.

Any layout, script etc. that use the MySQL tables will malfunction of the other clients does not have access to them.

But let's say that you have a solution on a server where you are the only one who are going to use the SQL tables, then you can do it like this.

• 2. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
            Johan Hedman

You need to set up a DNS on your FMS computer with the right ODBC driver.

When you have the DNS working you will see all table in your mySQL database and be able to put them into your relationships graph. They will work almost like all other tables of your system

You can read more about it here FileMaker Software Deployment, Business Software Solution - FileMaker

• 3. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
              johnyx2

Thank you for your replies.

I installed the ODBC drivers in the client machine, as recommended by Filemaker.

Setup the System DNS.

In Filemaker, I can import a MySql table, however I can not see the DNS sources in File -> Manage  -> External Data Sources or in the Relationship Graph to add a table with the DNS as the source.

Any suggestions?

FMS 13 on Macox

FM Pro 13 on Windows 7 x64

Thank you

• 4. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                CarstenLevin

Johan is right, you can do it on the server and it will work for all clients. But you can also just install ODBC and the connection for the individual client (with the consequences I mentioned in my first answer).

My suggestion is: Start with a simple demo file. Get ESS to work in this locally on your Mac or PC. Including the ODBC drivers.

Do you have the guide from FileMaker?

If not, here it is: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/15/en/fm15_odbc_jdbc_guide.pdf

Best regards

Carsten

• 5. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                  wimdecorte

johnyx2 wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

I installed the ODBC drivers in the client machine, as recommended by Filemaker.

Setup the System DNS.

In Filemaker, I can import a MySql table, however I can not see the DNS sources in File -> Manage -> External Data Sources or in the Relationship Graph to add a table with the DNS as the source.

Any suggestions?

FMS 13 on Macox

FM Pro 13 on Windows 7 x64

Thank you

Make sure that you are using the right drivers.  For data importing it does not matter, any ODBC source with any old driver will do, but for ESS it has to be very specific data sources with very specific drivers:

Which ODBC data sources/drivers are supported with External SQL Data Sources? | FileMaker

• 6. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                    johnyx2

I setup a simple demo file as suggested, installed the Filemaker recommended ODBC driver in the client machine.

I opened the simple demo file on the local machine and I was able to establish a ESS connection with the MySql database. Created a few shadow tables and all worked.

Then I uploaded the simple demo file to the Filemaker Server and there were no ODBC Data Sources to select.

As a matter of fact, I can have both local and remote files opened at the same time, in the local version the ESS connection works, but not in the remote.

There is no ODBC Data Source set up in the Filemaker Server.

Do I have to do something on the Filemaker Server?

• 7. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                      wimdecorte

johnyx2 wrote:

There is no ODBC Data Source set up in the Filemaker Server.

Do I have to do something on the Filemaker Server?

Yes.

Once you host a file on FMS, *ONLY* the DSNs on the FMS machine can be used.  Whatever DSNs the clients have is irrelevant.

• 8. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                        wimdecorte

In order not to mess up your TOs (shadow tables) in case you develop on the file while it is not hosted, keep the DSN name the same as the one that will be on the server.

• 9. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                          johnyx2

So what Carsten Levin 27/07/2016 1:50 AM post above described, does not apply to this case, because when I install the ODBC driver on the Filemaker server, then the ESS connection will be available to all clients, is that correct?

My confusion came from reading the diagrams in the section titled "Choose the FileMaker product that is right for your needs" at FileMaker Software Deployment, Business Software Solution - FileMaker

I was wondering if the left diagram titled "FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced" was possible even if the database was hosted in a Filemaker Server, I just had to install the ODBC drivers in the clients that I wanted to grant access. I guess the answer is no, but Carsten Levin said yes.

So I am still a bit confused or probably not understanding something.

• 10. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                            wimdecorte

johnyx2 wrote:

when I install the ODBC driver on the Filemaker server, then the ESS connection will be available to all clients, is that correct?

That is correct.  It is the beauty of using ESS when the file is hosted on FMS: you only need to install the driver and create the DSN once: on the FMS box... no client config required whatsoever.

• 11. Re: Live ESS from Filemaker Client?
                              johnyx2

Thank you