2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 8:30 PM by bigtom

Brand new FM15Server install on BrandNew Mac Pro coincided with sudden increase in connection errors on Insert from URL script steps

mchancevet@gmail.com

Hi,

long thread title I know. Sorry about that.

Yesterday we installed FM Server 15 locally on a Brand new Mac Pro with some variety of super fast flash memory 256gb.

A process that involves downloading PNG files to a container field iteratively in a found set of records, using Insert from URL started failing intermittently (some records) from some point a few hours thereafter.

The hosted files are still receiving other data being posted to a PHP file on WPE which is making new records in the hosted files without any errors.

I have an error logging script attached to the download process (which keeps retrying on fails on a timer) and I have captured error codes for the failures.

The error codes are 1631 and 1629 (connection failed, connection time out).

There is circumstantial evidence that some files that appear to have downloaded correctly may be corrupted to some extent.  These potentially corrupted files will display as images in the container if exported and inserted as image or if converted using base 64 encode - base 64 decode. They do however behave oddly on printing.

I have run the iterative URL download process on the same set of records (after resetting timestamps and clearing containers, and status fields etc) on server using perform on server and also on a local FM15 terminal. - same result but happens to different records each time.

Are there settings on FMServer 15 that would effect the capacity of insert from URL to function. ( remember many of the URLs are downloading fine) or destabilise it? How about the New OS? (latest OSX El Capitan).

Every other part of our solution seems to be working a lot faster on the new local server and I am not aware of any other issues.

One hypothesis, I have is it's just weird timing and that there is also an issue with the server hosting the png files I am accessing. This is not our server and we have no control or access to it's stats. Maybe it's out of memory?

We have a reliable ADSL 2+ ethernet connection and have not had any issues with insert from URL until this.

Thanks,

Morgan

• 1. Re: Brand new FM15Server install on BrandNew Mac Pro coincided with sudden increase in connection errors on Insert from URL script steps
          PeterWindle

ok, I've not done this sort of thing before, but here are my thoughts...

What's the nature of the process? I'd imagine that it's a looping script that inserts into a found set of records?

I think that you may indeed be looking at a timing issue.

It would be great if there way some way to confirm the contents before moving on with the next record... perhaps if the image is displayed in a web viewer (from filemaker) and the content checked, before moving to the next? Not sure if that's possible.

I'd be even looking at caches and clearing them as you go.

It's a tough one to trouble shoot, there could be a number of variables that get in the way of a good result. I think a lot of experimentation... tweaking as you go. Pause/Resume for a few seconds between each step to allow for timing issues. Perhaps even mark the records that have errored and re-run the script on those separately a second time??

Don't really know... just throwing my thoughts down here.

• 2. Re: Brand new FM15Server install on BrandNew Mac Pro coincided with sudden increase in connection errors on Insert from URL script steps
            bigtom

I am with Peter on this. Pause/Resume may fix this. I would start with 1 to 2 seconds and then work my way to .1 seconds until it is at it's fastest, but still reliable.

The hosting server may have an issue with being hit with too many http requests per unit time from your IP or in total.

There may sometimes be a delay in the server serving out the file and the script moves on without the files finishing.

Could be an issue with FM15, but see if pause helps first. Maybe test FM14/ElCap to narrow it down?